• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 10:13:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 615
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 527
Total: 527

Parent Raisers

Started by wsantia1, August 21, 2013, 03:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

I have a pair in a community tank that has gotten their spawn to the wiggler stage.  They are doing a very good job of keeping the tank mates out of the area. The spawn will probably be lost when start free swimming.  My question is at what point in the process can the parents be considered parent raisers? It's a shame I can't help them out but I don't have room for another spawn at this time.  I am very impressed with the care they showing in taking care of their brood.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

To me they can't be considered to be parent raisers until they are actually given the chance to actually raise the spawn.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Thanks.  Maybe I'll move them to their own tank when I clear out some space. They have potential.
Willie

Mugwump

Nice, Willy....I've had pairs raise fry in a community tank too...once they raise them to free swimming...they're parent raisers IMHO.....best to move them to their own tank and let them try some more....caution, once moved, it may take them a few tries....the threat from the others in a community tank is gone now....and that threat can drive the pair to be better raisers than being alone...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Great.  This is the second spawn for this pair.  They ate their first spawn right after breakfast.  They must have thought the fry eggs were included with the meal.
Willie

wsantia1

Do I feed the free swimmers from the Parent Raisers bbs after 24 hrs. like I do with the ones that I pulled.  The baby plats are free swimming and though I don't really expect survivors in the community tank I have the pair of Manacupuru X that will probably have free swimming sometime tomorrow in their own tank and I'd like to save some of those. 

How do I post a short video.
Willie

Mugwump

yep, bbs the same way....kinda aim it tho.. ;D.

Upload the vid to Utube or Photobucket, then post the link that they give you....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Willie