• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 03:22:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,347
  • Total Topics: 18,541
  • Online today: 861
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 861
Total: 861

Discus info

Started by LizStreithorst, April 01, 2014, 08:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

There's good info here.  Not a bit of misinformation  from what I have read, although I will disregard some of it :-[  I'd never heard of that method of treating HITH.  http://diskuszucht-stendker.de/en/Wissenswertes/
Always move forward. Never look back.

JR

Thanks for the info Liz
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

PaulineMi

Interesting link.  Thanks.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

cool link....thank you ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I like their HMF with plants.  In many ways the Europeans are light years ahead of us in keeping and spawning fish.

Dennis

PaulineMi

Quote from: BallAquatics on April 02, 2014, 08:53:19 AM
I like their HMF with plants.  In many ways the Europeans are light years ahead of us in keeping and spawning fish.

Dennis

The plants on the HMF is on my list of things to do this year. That full wall blue sponge is getting "icky looking". Plants would look nice on it and would be beneficial to the overall tank environment.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

BallAquatics

Quote from: PaulineMi on April 02, 2014, 09:06:17 AM
..... That full wall blue sponge is getting "icky looking" .....

I can just imagine.  I've never used any of the blue, red, or green, always stuck with the black.  I think it's much less obtrusive.  It's all the same foam by the way, just different colors.....

Dennis

PaulineMi

I agree Dennis.  I got black for my 55s. I went with the blue for the pigeon blood based discus due to their propensity towards peppering in dark tanks. I now simply enjoy these high maintenance fish and have gotten over being a stickler for perfection as long as they're healthy and happy.

BTW.....I think the CPDs I got from you are confused about their identity.  They've witnessed the angels and discus succesfully doing their cichlid begging behaviors and now they do the same thing.  Shy little fish they're not.  :)

BallAquatics

Monkey see, monkey do Pauline.  You just have them spoiled rotten.   ;)   No doubt, you are keeping them very happy if they are out and about.

Dennis

PaulineMi

After reading the Stendker articles it was surprising to see the water changes being over a week apart, very small and recommending the use of cold water.  I understand his reasoning but the serious discus people on the discus forum aren't even close to that mindset.

LizStreithorst

I know, Pauline.  Weird, isn't it.  The Stendker's have HUGE operation.  They're fish have the reputation of being very strong because they've bred them for years and years to be that way.  I don't do as they do.  I change my Discus 30% of my Discus water daily.  Of course I have Asian Discus...

GeorgeG

If you want to see some pretty Discus join this face book page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/664753480247689/

LizStreithorst

I despise face book.  Is there no other way to see these pretty Discus?

GeorgeG

LizStreithorst

Dang.  Too bad for me.  I love looking at pics of excellent Discus.