• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 05:44:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 531
Total: 531

You never know what you'll find.....

Started by BallAquatics, December 03, 2012, 12:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

I'm out working on the daphnia cultures and what do I find - a fish in one of the tanks!!!!!  He looks pretty happy too   :)

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I'd be happy too if I were a fish and found mysyel in that situation.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Jdmcfast

Josh

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Jdmcfast on December 03, 2012, 01:42:56 PM
how hard is it to do a Daphnia culture?

I find daphnia very easy, (monia I'm still trying to master).  It pays to have more than one culture going at any given time.  Here's a great article on culturing daphnia --->  http://www.aka.org/wako/DaphniaCultureMadeSimple.htm.

Dennis

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on December 03, 2012, 02:07:14 PM
oh...can you identify it yet??.....

It's got to be a Pearl or Panther Danio fry.  Got some 2 shelves up growing out...

Dennis

LizStreithorst

How do you figure the lucky fish found it's way into the cluture?

BallAquatics

It must have jumped.  The daphnia tanks stick out from the bottom shelf so any kamikaze from the tanks above would probably drop right in.  I was moving around some plants over the weekend and probably spooked it...

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I hope that it truns out to be a fish worthy of breeding.  Is it larger than it's tank mates because it had such a good feed for we don't know how long?

BallAquatics

No, fortunately it's too small to eat the larger daphnia.  It's only been in there less than 24 hours.  I would have seen it yesterday when inspecting the cultures.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I clicked on the link.  Unforutnatly for me, daphnia thrive in a small temperture range.  In winter, I don't heat the  the house unless it drops below 50 or I want to give myself a treat.  I keep the fish room at 80.  The heaters in the tanks boost the Discus up another two or three degrees.

I know that they are a great food.  I wish I could raise them, but I can't.

BallAquatics

My biggest problem is keeping them cool enough in the summer.  I used to keep them in Sterilite containers on the floor under the racks, but it's a bear doing water changes with something that's on the floor.   :(

Dennis

Mugwump

Jon

BallAquatics