• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 07:50:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,344
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 767
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 761
Total: 762

Sta Isabel/Rio Negro

Started by Mugwump, November 23, 2015, 09:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

,,Since pat posted a nice vid. of her young Altums, I wondered how an updated vid of these would look using my phone camera vs my old Dig, camera.

These are my keepers and are around 1 1/2+ years now....the 'big boy' twins are in the 110....more room because they hate each other...LOL...note that I've keep them in a dimmer lit tank to help them develop the nice full dark stripes.....

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on November 23, 2015, 11:34:33 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on November 23, 2015, 11:19:26 AM
Whare's the purty music? huh

LOL...I didn't have the jams on... ;D

Sorry, Mugs, but I think SHP out-classed you, pal!   2c2
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Jon

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on November 23, 2015, 11:59:04 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on November 23, 2015, 11:57:48 AM

'SHP' ??.....

Come on now...Second Hand Pat! You're slipping....or is it me? :-\
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on November 23, 2015, 12:04:04 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on November 23, 2015, 11:59:04 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on November 23, 2015, 11:57:48 AM

'SHP' ??.....

Come on now...Second Hand Pat! You're slipping....or is it me? :-\

Ok....LOL...she hasn't been here long enough for me to recognize the short hand....
Jon

Second Hand Pat

Oh dear...a bit of teasing I see.  huh

Very nice Jon  |^| Question for you. Do angelfish needs a dim tank to maintain striations? Are these guys wild? They sound from the name that they are F1 cross from wild fish?
Pat
Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Mugwump

Quote from: Second Hand Pat on November 23, 2015, 01:41:04 PM
Oh dear...a bit of teasing I see.  huh

Very nice Jon  |^| Question for you. Do angelfish needs a dim tank to maintain striations? Are these guys wild? They sound from the name that they are F1 cross from wild fish?
Pat

Yes the Sta Isabel/Rio Negro parents were F1...these are F2's.....Neil Oyama bred...

I've found raising them in reduced lighting does allow for the darker striping...too much light early on makes then fade....I've seen pure silvers raised with a very well lit tank, and fading of the stripes is very obvious....to me anyway...so I raise all my wild types with the std warm white bulbs with plants, etc....it seems to work very well... ;D    brightness and an extended photo period are influential for sure....look at the cobras..zebras with continuous lighting....
Jon

Second Hand Pat

Perhaps I should keep the altums heavy in the rooibos tea? Should serve the same purpose?
Pat
Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Mugwump

Quote from: Second Hand Pat on November 23, 2015, 02:15:08 PM
Perhaps I should keep the altums heavy in the rooibos tea? Should serve the same purpose?
Pat

..or you can move the light to the rear, float plants, etc too....reduce the photo period ..or leave the lights off with only ambient light??
Jon

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on November 23, 2015, 02:37:34 PM
Quote from: Second Hand Pat on November 23, 2015, 02:15:08 PM
Pat

..or you can move the light to the rear, float plants, etc too....reduce the photo period ..or leave the lights off with only ambient light??

A good fish friend of mine who uses a lot of strong lighting will take a piece of translucent acrylic and place it on his aquarium glass cover in specific areas to reduce the amount of light getting to his Anubias and Java ferns. This might work too, Pat.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron