• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 12:43:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 640
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 636
Total: 636

Mower oil change...

Started by Mugwump, April 26, 2015, 01:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Found this little vid....besides the guy drinking beer...the way he changes the oil is great....tried it and it's so easy....dang..

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

What is that he sticks into the fill hole to drain the oil into the bottle???

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on April 26, 2015, 01:30:02 PM
What is that he sticks into the fill hole to drain the oil into the bottle???

Dennis

I used a piece of left over 1/2" air line tubing.... ;D....slid right in.....I like the no spill, easy disposal too...neato...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Yep, it's pretty slick.  Beats standing on your head trying to get the plug out the bottom.....

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I can't figure it out either.  The oil on my mower is a huge pain to change.  To get to the drain plug you have to take off the entire bottom shield.  The owner manual suggests turning it upside down and letting the oil flow out the dip stick hole.  It takes forever to drain since there is no air from another place to make it flow easily.  You have to tip it this way and that way and hope that eventually you get most of the old oil out.  This looks like a good product and it's cheap!   http://www.liquivac.com/
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 26, 2015, 01:57:38 PM
I can't figure it out either.  The oil on my mower is a huge pain to change.  To get to the drain plug you have to take off the entire bottom shield.  The owner manual suggests turning it upside down and letting the oil flow out the dip stick hole.  It takes forever to drain since there is no air from another place to make it flow easily.  You have to tip it this way and that way and hope that eventually you get most of the old oil out.  This looks like a good product and it's cheap!   http://www.liquivac.com/

You should try the tube/bottle thingy Liz....even if you only get 90% of the oil, you're good to go....and easier to change more often too...
Jon

LizStreithorst

I like the other thing better, and it doesn't cost much.

Rjb3

Back in my lawn service days I changed oil every week (25 hours)and the air filters every month (100 hours). I'd start and run them for a few minutes. Always drain the oil when the motor is warm. Then, I'd put a shallow pan underneath for the oil to drain into, pour in 28 oz. of fresh oil, give the underside a quick wipe and you're done. You get used to it.

LizStreithorst

Yeah, easy peasy if your drain plug is easily accessible.

Rjb3

The mowers I used were Snapper 21" self propelled walk behinds with the Briggs OHV engines. I do believe they sold that engine design to Honda. Looks like the later models hold a little less oil than they did 30 years ago.