• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 03:22:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 578
Total: 578

Nasa largest pice ever taken....

Started by Mugwump, January 21, 2015, 07:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

January 16 , 2015

NASA Has Released The Largest Picture Ever Taken And It Will Shake Up Your Universe

Have you seen the largest picture ever taken? For the record, it's a mammoth 1.5 billion pixel image (69,536 x 22,230) and requires about 4.3 GB disk space. Oh, and it'll take your breath away.

On January 5, NASA released an image of the Andromeda galaxy, our closest galactic neighbor, captured by the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope. The full image is made up of 411 Hubble images, takes you through a 100 million stars and travels over more than 40,000 light years. Well, a section of it anyway.

Prepare to feel extremely tiny and insignificant as you marvel at this fly-through video created by YouTuber daveachuk and make sure you stick around till the end. Seriously. 

http://youtu.be/udAL48P5NJU
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

Wow, do I ever feel tiny.  And it reinforces the theory of "How could we possibly be the only intelligent life out there"   Thanks Jon, this is truly spectacular.
Barb

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BillT

Awesome.
Reminds me of one of my favorite songs:

Andromada is similar in shape to our galaxy (the Milky Way), but of a different size. The Milky Way in the sky is looking out into space in the plane of the disk of our galaxy. Many stars are hidden in visible light by gas and dust clouds.
Eric Idle has revised this song a few times as various astronomers have gotten better numbers.

PaulineMi

I agree.  That is truly spectacular.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

BillT

The Brit's have a great sense of humor.

I spent a year doing a post Doc in Newcastle (up near Scotland) maybe 20 years ago.

At the time, when a visiting soccer team (non-American football) was loosing, the whole stadium of fans for the home team would start whistling Always Look on the Bright Side of life in the last few minutes of the games.

This was happening all over the country.