• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 01:25:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 511
Total: 512

May I rant?

Started by Barb, July 06, 2014, 09:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

Nope, it's not Liz here, it is Barb.  Remember Arthur?  Well, we had no house damage, thank goodness.  I am grateful for that.  But we live in the middle of 3 acres of grass, flower and shrub beds, and lots of tall hardwood trees.     Bill wanted lots of land when he retired in 99.  Now I wish we had 1/4 acre or less.

I just finished the backbreaking work, in heat and humidity, picking up what seemed like a million twigs, branches and parts of big trees, all blown down the other night.  When I came inside, Bill was comfortably reading the paper and watching TV.  He can't help much and I understand most of that.'

However, when I had just finished, here comes our 83 yr old neighbor lady, a sweet widow lady, with a bucket and her cloth gloves, and a sunhat, offering to help me.  I thanked her for the offer and then she and I talked about all the teenage boys, and many more younger ones,  who live in our neighborhood.  Not one of them has offered help, I would pay well, but they all stay inside with their tv, ipods and pads, and games, etc.  And mommy and daddy supply any spending money they want.

When I was a girl, and a young teen, I would have been out every day making money helping people with their yard work if it was needed.  You all too?  Or do I just need to shut up about all this and tell myself to clean up alone, with no help anymore. Even our daughter and SIL expect pay to help.  I am pissed right now.  Thanks for listening.  And one more time, I HATE HURRICANES.
Barb

Mugwump

My Dad taught my brother and I, the pleasure that comes from helping folks. We went a couple doors down from us, one snowy winter day, and shoveled a nice older lady's walk....we really thought that we'd gotten away with helping someone as 'secret helpers'.....a few days later, a lavender envelope with a thank you card appeared in our mailbox....with a perfumed dollar inside....it was addressed to Jeff an I.............it was unsigned  ;D ......we've never forgotten that.....     
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

If I was closer I would help in a heart beat. I was taught that if you want something you had to work for it. I help my grandma all the time with yard work. She keeps trying to pay me. And will get offended when I refuse payment. I don't like taking her money.  That's not why I help her.
Scott

ilroost

It's just not right to accept money from relatives to help them!!! I have a 90 year old nieghbor i help out all the time and love to do it.
And there are people who help me out. One night we had bad winds and a half a tree fell here. I was out of town only to come home and find i
it all cut up and stacked. Never have found out who done it.
It's like at work. We can't keep help there. The starting pay is $12.00 a hour and everytime a young man comes in and works a couple days we never see him again!
Days are different now i guess. I have worked since i was 15 and now i'm 54. Have always had a job, either delivering papers,walking beans,detasseling something but always a job.