• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 04:56:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,355
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 852
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 852
Total: 852

Sleeping with the fishes is good

Started by LizStreithorst, February 06, 2016, 10:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I'm sleeping on the comfortable sofa in the fish room while Martha is staying with me.  I slept down there for about a year and a half just because I wanted to huh   It's actually quite a nice place to sleep.   

After the tank lights went off I watched the Discus tank with only the little light I leave on all the time in the fish room.  Man, if you think that Discus move slowly during the day you should see how slow they move after tank lights out ::) 

I did notice my big White PB male rubbing another fish.  They were kind of staying together.  She slow motion drove one fish off. He slow motion drove off a big male of a different strain.  The the friendly fish went slow motion in different directions...Then the big male started pecking on a heater cord and I thought, OMG. I don't have a cone in that tank and ran fast and found one of Barb's tall cones which is perfect because this male is so big.  Then the male meandered over to it and deemed it safe, I guess.  Then the female came over to it and started cleaning it!

I went up close and took a good look at the female.  Next to my big male she is the best fish in the tank.  Her pattern is not yet fully developed but it is very well defined.  I can tell that she will get whiter, but not as white as her dad.  Looks like she will be mostly striated with some checkerboard pattern.   From what I could see in the ambient light the female is a very good fish.  I'm delighted that she chose to love up to her old man.  The best has chosen the best.

Now to wait out the flirting process out.  She's young and she won't be ready for a while.  This will be fun for me.  I think I'll be sleeping in the fish room for a good while after Marth leaves.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

That's pretty cool Liz.  Isn't watching fish behavior so much fun!  Thanks for sharing with us.   |^|

Dennis

Mugwump

..good story, Liz........IMHO, that's the reason everyone should have chairs/rockers/recliners/futons/couchs/etc. or something, to relax on in their fish rooms.....it allows you a place to kick back and get the enjoyment of just watching your fish interact.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

Good story Liz.  Hope you and Martha have a real nice visit.  Lots of good food, talking, drives in Charlotte, tell her I said Hi and thanks for the candles last year.
Barb

Ron Sower

Love it. That's why I have my fish in the room with the TV, so I can watch all the happenings!  And still be in the room with Miss Lucy! The way we are arranging the room now is so that I can see the tanks well from any chair in it...!  |^|

I use Finnex LED lighting for plant growth which has blue LEDs that can be turned on separately. Sometimes that's what I do at night or early morning in the dark when I'm in there by myself.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Rjb3

You are right. Nothing like watching the fish.