• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 04:50:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,355
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 848
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 841
Total: 841

To De-Extinct or To Not De-Extinct

Started by BillT, September 28, 2016, 11:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

Although its a big job, there are scientists that think they can bring back the woolly mammoth and the passenger pigeon maybe in the 2020. This takes a lot of resources so other than these first showcase species, which species is worth doing this to and in what situations is it worth doing?

This article discusses these issues:
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/09/should-we-bring-extinct-species-back-dead?utm_campaign=news_daily_2016-09-26&et_rid=33537079&et_cid=837390

Mugwump

....to put in a zoo..??....bringing back the grasslands doesn't sound bad tho....but that would take herds to do it....? 

'to see if we can do it' doesn't really seem like a good reason for it tho.. huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on September 29, 2016, 04:22:50 AM
'to see if we can do it' doesn't really seem like a good reason for it tho.. huh

Come on Jon, that almost sounds un-American  lol   ;D

Dennis

BillT

That would be called proof of concept by scientists.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on September 29, 2016, 04:23:09 PM

...Ahh..ok....then our (8) man, homemade skate board 1 1/2 mile ride down Palm Dr. circa 1959.....was actually an attempt at 'proof of concept'... |^|...cool...(It was Jim Moses's idea, honest)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on September 29, 2016, 04:50:32 PM
Quote from: BillT on September 29, 2016, 04:23:09 PM

...Ahh..ok....then our (8) man, homemade skate board 1 1/2 mile ride down Palm Dr. circa 1959.....was actually an attempt at 'proof of concept'... |^|...cool...(It was Jim Moses's idea, honest)

My homemade skateboard was circa 1964. lol  mim mim mim
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

wallace

My son spent 6 weeks with his broken jaw wired shut after proving a concept on his skateboard. He claims he may have broken a speed record. Now he designs race cars...  huh
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on September 29, 2016, 05:37:26 PM
My son spent 6 weeks with his broken jaw wired shut after proving a concept on his skateboard. He claims he may have broken a speed record. Now he designs race cars...  huh

We crashed on the way down too...two broken arms, busted noses, and one broken ankle.....I just had cuts/bruises/ and a sprained wrist.....LOL.....and yep, we tried it again....LOL.....
Jon