• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 08:53:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,346
  • Total Topics: 18,541
  • Online today: 879
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 759
Total: 759

Wigglers refuse to leave the cone

Started by LizStreithorst, March 31, 2014, 03:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I expected these guys to free swim last Friday.  It's Monday afternoon and although a few are loose there has been no mutiney.  The parents scoop them up and blow them back on the cone and they stick!  They appear perfectly normal other than that.  This ever happened to any of y'all?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I can only think of about one time that they stayed put, where spat, for longer than normal...but it does, and can, happen..here and there... ;D...check your water temp??...cooler water takes em longer...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

your ideal temp should be 80-82 degs.....they will hatch faster at the higher temp....really
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EdKaz

QuoteThis ever happened to any of y'all?

Yep......I Assumed it was due to a heater failure allowing the water temps to drop to low 70's. Took the majority a couple extra days to pop off the slate.

LizStreithorst

Well that will make life.  My Discus require 82 degrees.  I'd always heard that Angles like it a bit cooler.

LizStreithorst

Temp is 81 now and as soon as I turned on the light this morning the kids left the cone enmass.  This is the same mom that produced the spawn that nearly 100% of which turned.  I sure hope that they don't all get eaten while I'm at work today.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 01, 2014, 07:48:14 AM
Temp is 81 now and as soon as I turned on the light this morning the kids left the cone enmass.  This is the same mom that produced the spawn that nearly 100% of which turned.  I sure hope that they don't all get eaten while I'm at work today.

they'll be fine....feed em when you get home...
Jon

LizStreithorst

I did.  There are fewer this afternoon, but you say that the parents are smart about eating the week ones.  Both parents are het for ps so I'm sure I have weak ones.

Now that it's dark outside the parents are gathering them up and spitting them back on the cone.  The little guys actually stay on the cone for a good while be they gather together and make another attempt at the great escape.  Gosh it's a blast to have a spawn you have hopes for.  I'm dying to know what percentage of these turn.