• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 06:36:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,337
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 577
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 566
Total: 566

The Forum

Started by Mugwump, January 05, 2013, 05:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sschind

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on February 27, 2013, 01:44:39 PM
It must be rough to cheer for .........?..........during the hockey season.

Never bothered about hockey.  Is there really a  season for it?  What happens when both fans are busy, do they cancel the games?  Pretty much the same for any other sport as far as I am concerned.   Its football season and the offseason for me.

Now about the Bears, I give Jon a lot of guff but truth be told I grew up hating the vikings and not the Bears.  I don't hate the Bears like most Bears fans I know hate the Packers and that bothers them.  They get upset when I am happy the Bears won because any Packers victory really irritates them.

Of course we could always take this discussion over to the GCCA forum, They appreciate a good sports discussion over there.  Just keep it on topic.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

Mugwump

My real favorite team is the Rams. I started rooting for them back in the 60's when they played in the Colosseum in L.A.....then, as now, I've always disliked the 49's...LOL....the Bears are our three sons favorites..so I play along....I liked watching GB when Bart was around, and Hornung....good times....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on March 01, 2013, 07:37:31 PM
....I liked watching GB when Bart was around, and Hornung....

Back when I still watched pro sports Green Bay was always my favorite.  I must have been 6 or 7 when I send off a letter addressed to Bart Starr Green Bay Wisconsin.

I got back a short note and an autographed photo.  He was always one of my hero's, but my all-time favorite player had to be number 66 Ray Nitschke.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

That must have been quite a thrill for you as a little boy.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 02, 2013, 07:19:55 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on March 01, 2013, 07:37:31 PM
....I liked watching GB when Bart was around, and Hornung....

Back when I still watched pro sports Green Bay was always my favorite.  I must have been 6 or 7 when I send off a letter addressed to Bart Starr Green Bay Wisconsin.

I got back a short note and an autographed photo.  He was always one of my hero's, but my all-time favorite player had to be number 66 Ray Nitschke.

Dennis

My favorites were Jim Brown and Lou (the toe) Groza....I liked watching Roman Gabriel and earlier Elroy (crazy legs) Hirsch...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 02, 2013, 07:25:51 AM

Oh it certainly was!  Much better times back then... sports hero's were role models and knew how to play the part and live up to the responsibility that came with it.

Dennis

sschind

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 02, 2013, 07:54:44 AM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 02, 2013, 07:25:51 AM

Oh it certainly was!  Much better times back then... sports hero's were role models and knew how to play the part and live up to the responsibility that came with it.

Dennis

There are still a lot of them out there,  Even JJ Watt is getting in on the act.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/j-j-watt-marriage-proposal-six-old-fan-150358259--nfl.html

Unfortunately for them they just get overshadowed by the bad ones.   You are right though, it does seem that so many of today's celebrities have the "me first" and the "I got mine so screw you" mentality

If I could meet any pro athlete however Bart Starr would be #1 on my list.  I recall one instance I read about where he and his wife were in Dallas (I think it was Dallas) waiting for an elevator at the stadium and some bigwig, who was cutting the line, recognized him and invited them to join him in the elevator and Starr said no thanks we'll wait.  Its a small anecdote and a rather insignificant one at that but I just get the feeling its a way of life for Mr. Starr.  He is one person who has truly earned the respect of being called Mr.  I don't think I could ever envision myself saying Mr. Lewis (Ray) I'm pleased to meet you.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB