• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 05:11:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 930
  • Online ever: 930
  • (Today at 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 782
Total: 782

New Koi

Started by LizStreithorst, June 04, 2014, 04:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

My babies from Ed just arrived!  He sent about a million of them.  They're little yet, but they have a lot of black on them which is something I've always liked.  Thanks a ton, Ed.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 04, 2014, 04:49:23 PM
My babies from Ed just arrived!  He sent about a million of them.  They're little yet, but they have a lot of black on them which is something I've always liked.  Thanks a ton, Ed.

..........cool beans...........pics ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EdKaz

A million???? Glad to hear all "million" of em showed up......... and alive even. ;)

I dipped the net twice and dropped em in the bags. The 33 they came out of is STILL FULL.... and mom and dad are tending to their latest batch............

THEIR parents originated from Mugwumps house of Horny Angels..........AND THEY WONT STOP!!!!!!

Dropped their tank temp to 76-77 before their last spawn....and was going to stick in a divider with em, but before I got to it, they laid AGAIN.........might have to invest in a chiller for that pair ??? :o

Have fun with em

LizStreithorst

I didn't know that they came from Mug's HORA.  I'll be posting pics when they settle in.  I have them in a 30 long and one bagful is on one end of the tank, the other bagful on the other end.  I'm sure that by tomorrow they'll realize that they're not from two separate tribes:)

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 04, 2014, 05:45:20 PM
I didn't know that they came from Mug's HORA.  I'll be posting pics when they settle in.  I have them in a 30 long and one bagful is on one end of the tank, the other bagful on the other end.  I'm sure that by tomorrow they'll realize that they're not from two separate tribes:)

LOL..........."two separate tribes"........... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

They are now a single tribe horney Angel man.  I'd still like to wait a bit longer before I get a pic.  I wasn't expecting them until tomorrow so I hadn't gotten my BBS ready.  I'd like them to have a couple of good feeds before I snap their pic.  They're eating Brand X right now, but I won't feel comfortable until they're on something live, too.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 04, 2014, 07:16:19 PM
They are now a single tribe horney Angel man.  I'd still like to wait a bit longer before I get a pic.  I wasn't expecting them until tomorrow so I hadn't gotten my BBS ready.  I'd like them to have a couple of good feeds before I snap their pic.  They're eating Brand X right now, but I won't feel comfortable until they're on something live, too.

Knowing Ed, they're on crushed flake......feed em the Color Tetraman flake once a day.... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

He told me that they are.  That and BBS.  But you know, I have my own funny ways.  I like to pack them full of BBS.  Nothing beats live food!  They will make a better pic when I see fat bellies.

Mugwump

oh, I didn't mean stop the bbs, I feed bbs along with the crushed flake too... ;D.....golden pearls are good too.... ;D
Jon

EdKaz

QuoteKnowing Ed, they're on crushed flake.......

Correct you are.......That and BBS.

Quote.feed em the Color Tetraman flake once a day

Those fishes older kin have done REAL nice with NO color food. Lots of good water, good light, and decent food.....Even At nickle quarters they do get SOME BBS if I have some left after feeding the Babies around here.

QuoteI like to pack them full of BBS.  Nothing beats live food!  They will make a better pic when I see fat bellies

I DID hold back some on their food for a few days before sending em out to try to keep the ammonia in the bags down.

CAREFUL packing THOSE fish with food.....they WILL eat until they literally EXPLODE, or cant get off the ground...............dont ask how I know. :-[

Mugwump

I like to get just a few more cartenoids in them when they are developing...it does help to jump start the melanin layer's color expressing qualities, Lots of fish foods are loaded with cartenoids now days...Captn Bob's are rich in them.....egg foo yung for tiny fry works well too ;D...once a day at fry stage can't hurt...plus as Ed says...good light, good water....yeppers
Jon

LizStreithorst

I know you didn't mean that.  I just don't want to take pics of the fish until they have had a couple of good feedings of bbs.  You just don't see fat pink bellies unless you feed bbs.

Mug, some of these fish are black toward the back.  But you said that I can't breed what I would like which is a hb orange.  You said it was because of the gold inhibiting the expression of black.  I think it might also be because of the stripeless gene...that they need that stripes if they're to be half black.

Please 'splain me this more slowly. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 04, 2014, 08:23:57 PM
I know you didn't mean that.  I just don't want to take pics of the fish until they have had a couple of good feedings of bbs.  You just don't see fat pink bellies unless you feed bbs.

Mug, some of these fish are black toward the back.  But you said that I can't breed what I would like which is a hb orange.  You said it was because of the gold inhibiting the expression of black.  I think it might also be because of the stripeless gene...that they need that stripes if they're to be half black.

Please 'splain me this more slowly.

The presence of two gold genes masks half black.......a gold HB doesn't exist.....it's not the stripeless genes.....gold, black, gold marble, and marble all reside on the same loci...if you have two copies of gold...there's no room for a dark(black) gene....
Ten active loci at this time..

1) Dark, Marble, gold Marble, gold
2) Zebra, Stripeless
3) Smokey
4) Half Black
5) Albino
6) Blue
7) Veil
8) Pearl scale
9) Streaked
10) Philippine Blue

Jon