• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 10:15:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 529
Total: 529

Interesting Owner's Manuals on Amazon

Started by BillT, April 11, 2015, 03:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

We may have beaten them to the moon, but not do of a lack on fine minds on their teams.....

Every time I hear mention of the Russian space program I think of the hi-tech space pen NASA developed to over come zero gravity.  The story goes, that a NASA engineer was bragging about the hi-tech pen and all the engineering that went into it's development to a visiting Russian scientist.  At the conclusion of the bragging and stating that we had spent upwards of a million US dollars on it's development, the Russian stated that they had equipped their cosmonauts with #2 lead pencils.

Dennis

BillT

Just like a horseshoe crab or a primitive fish, a simple but effective design like a pencil can continue to have a useful life.

Many Russian military designs are a lot simpler than western one, but can be brutally effective non-the-less.

BallAquatics

BallAquatics

Quote from: BillT on April 11, 2015, 04:13:16 PM
Many Russian military designs are a lot simpler than western one, but can be brutally effective non-the-less.

When I first became interested in tube type stereo equipment I learned that the Russians still manufacture tubes and have new equipment that uses them.  Tube based electronics are not affected by nuclear EMP like solid state electronics.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on April 11, 2015, 04:32:37 PM
Quote from: BillT on April 11, 2015, 04:13:16 PM

When I first became interested in tube type stereo equipment I learned that the Russians still manufacture tubes and have new equipment that uses them.  Tube based electronics are not affected by nuclear EMP like solid state electronics.

Dennis

...but....they add more weight to a space vehicle, and are bulkier too......an efficient space station needs lighter, and easier electronics to fit the precious room available.....plus think of a spare parts supply compared to solid state .....on good old earth, it might make more sense to use the older equipment tho.....any nuclear hit to a space vehicle, well....no parts will be needed,,,,
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Keep in mind you get much the same effect from a severe solar storm, (ie sun spots and the like).

Interesting read here ==>>  http://www.futurescience.com/emp/emp-protection.html

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on April 11, 2015, 05:07:29 PM
Keep in mind you get much the same effect from a severe solar storm, (ie sun spots and the like).

Interesting read here ==>>  http://www.futurescience.com/emp/emp-protection.html

Dennis

Most solar storms are temporary tho, right?.....they disrupt, rather than destroy....?
Jon

BillT

Strong solar storms can destroy things. They have done so in the past occasionally.
I think strong storms are associated with sun spots.
They would be stronger in space outside of the atmosphere and the earth's magnetic field.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on April 11, 2015, 06:49:10 PM
Strong solar storms can destroy things. They have done so in the past occasionally.
I think strong storms are associated with sun spots.
They would be stronger in space outside of the atmosphere and the earth's magnetic field.

That makes sense...wonder if the have them shielded somehow....?
Jon

BillT

Radiation shielding of astronauts going on long trips out of the earth's magnetic field is currently problematic.
The length of time it would take to get to Mars and return is thought to be too much for human health.
One alternative being considered is just using more gas and going faster so they would not be exposed to the radiation so long.
Another problem would be radiation on the surface of Mars.I don't think Mars has a lot of magnetic field.

Earth may be unusual in that it has a dynamic geological system with plate tectonics (turning over surface chemicals) and a molten iron core (whose churning around is thought to generate our magnetic field).
Many moons and planets have solidified, do not have a moving core to generate a strong magnetic field.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on April 11, 2015, 08:04:38 PM
Radiation shielding of astronauts going on long trips out of the earth's magnetic field is currently problematic.
The length of time it would take to get to Mars and return is thought to be too much for human health.
One alternative being considered is just using more gas and going faster so they would not be exposed to the radiation so long.
Another problem would be radiation on the surface of Mars.I don't think Mars has a lot of magnetic field.

Earth may be unusual in that it has a dynamic geological system with plate tectonics (turning over surface chemicals) and a molten iron core (whose churning around is thought to generate our magnetic field).
Many moons and planets have solidified, do not have a moving core to generate a strong magnetic field.

Then shielding electronics is no problem then, right? It's the human's on board that are of the current issue.
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BallAquatics on April 11, 2015, 03:57:34 PM
We may have beaten them to the moon, but not do of a lack on fine minds on their teams.....

Every time I hear mention of the Russian space program I think of the hi-tech space pen NASA developed to over come zero gravity.  The story goes, that a NASA engineer was bragging about the hi-tech pen and all the engineering that went into it's development to a visiting Russian scientist.  At the conclusion of the bragging and stating that we had spent upwards of a million US dollars on it's development, the Russian stated that they had equipped their cosmonauts with #2 lead pencils.

Dennis
http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BillT

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

Well its nice to know that the government makes some decent decisions.

Then shielding electronics is no problem then, right? It's the human's on board that are of the current issue.

There are two issues:

1) EMP: electro-magnetic pulse is a sudden pulse of electromagnetic energy. Magnetism and electricity are intimately intertwined. A change in one can induce a change in another. This is the basis of the electromagnetic processes underlying electric motors and generators.
Electronic susceptible to this gets fried by EMP because the magnetic pulse induces large and sudden currents in electrical circuits. The conductors in the circuits act like antennas.
Its the changes that cause the problems.

2) Radiation causing biological damage: Too much radiation (especially "ionizing" radiation) that is powerful enough to cause changes when it hits certain
chemicals (like DNA). This would be like X-rays, gamma rays, high energy particles from the sun (similar to solar storms, but present all the time at lower levels). X-rays and gamma rays are like high energy light (photons). They would not be deflected by magnetic fields because they do not have a charge. Charges particles from the sun could be things like accelerated protons without electrons. They have charges. When they are moving they are like a current and can induce or be affected by magnetic fields.