• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 05:35:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 636
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 582
Total: 582

Thanksgiving time

Started by Mugwump, November 12, 2016, 06:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

..so what's everybody doing this year? We usually spend the day up at #1's families house....but they may be travel'n out to her folks this time. I imagine we'll have a 'bird' here then.. |^|....#2 and family can come over....#3's family is out in Colorado....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

I'll be in DC with Vikki's family. My family gets together over Christmas. mim mim mim
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

We'll eat at the clubhouse with our friends here....this will be the first Thanksgiving away from our kids, either hers or mine, in about 15 years or so...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

waterboy

We host a traditional family feast with all the kids, or at least all that can make it. One is up north just across the river from Minneapolis, and one sometimes goes to her husbands family get together. Usually two 20 lb turkeys with all the extras. Plenty of turkey sandwiches for days afterwards. I keep telling her that she is getting too old for all that work, but she won't listen.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on November 12, 2016, 12:17:07 PM
We host a traditional family feast with all the kids, or at least all that can make it. One is up north just across the river from Minneapolis, and one sometimes goes to her husbands family get together. Usually two 20 lb turkeys with all the extras. Plenty of turkey sandwiches for days afterwards. I keep telling her that she is getting too old for all that work, but she won't listen.

WOW...that's a lot of bird !!!    haven't had a huge Thanksgiving dinner like that since I was a kid, we went 'over the river and through the woods'....she always fed an army of us....good times....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on November 13, 2016, 07:07:05 AM

WOW...that's a lot of bird !!!    haven't had a huge Thanksgiving dinner like that since I was a kid, we went 'over the river and through the woods'....she always fed an army of us....good times....

...I'll bet you miss those days too, don't you Jon? ...I Know I do!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on November 13, 2016, 08:27:39 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on November 13, 2016, 07:07:05 AM

...I'll bet you miss those days too, don't you Jon? ...I Know I do!

Yes, I do......the banter around the table, the laughter.....the happiness glowing from us all...
Jon

wallace

The kids are going to come home for a few days.

When I was little the whole extended family lived in the same area, there was a big dinner at grandpa's every year. He had big fish tanks to look in. There was about 20 people, and a kiddie's table.
Dan

Rjb3

Looks like we get two Thanksgiving dinners this year. One on Thursday with friends, and again on Friday with our daughter. Her boyfriend's family celebrates on Friday.

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on November 13, 2016, 06:23:28 PM
The kids are going to come home for a few days.

When I was little the whole extended family lived in the same area, there was a big dinner at grandpa's every year. He had big fish tanks to look in. There was about 20 people, and a kiddie's table.

...ah...the kiddies card table(s)......yeppers.... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

I generally don't celebrate holidays period.  I enjoyed Christmas and my birthday and Halloween when I was a kid because I got stuff  ::)  I always hated Thanksgiving because I'd have to get all dressed up and sit around politely with a bunch boring adults when I much rather would have preferred to be playing in the woods with my dog. 

For the past few years I've sometimes cooked something special for Thanksgiving just for me.  I get invited to family's dinners but I always feel like a stray being taken in for the day.  This year I think I'll make a duck breast.  I love duck and haven't had it in ages.  I'm going to make this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/pan-roasted-duck-breast-recipe0.html
Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

When I was a kid the adults weren't very boring. I loved listening to the old people telling stories and jokes in the scottish accents and getting drunk. I looked in the kitchen sink once and there was a bunch of cigar stubs floating in there. The men just tossed them in the sink!
Dan

LizStreithorst

Adults were only boring during holiday dinners.  The dinner parties were all about putting on a show as far as I was concerned.  I've always sucked at putting on a show.  I found listening to adults who just came by to visit very entertaining and enlightening because they talked about things that mattered to them.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 14, 2016, 10:23:41 AM
Adults were only boring during holiday dinners.  The dinner parties were all about putting on a show as far as I was concerned.  I've always sucked at putting on a show.  I found listening to adults who just came by to visit very entertaining and enlightening because they talked about things that mattered to them.
If I were a praying man, I'd say "Amen To that"!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron