• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 09:34:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 535
Total: 535

Chili recipes...

Started by Mugwump, October 29, 2014, 05:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Bushkill

This will be Saturday night's gastronomical adventure. I'll report back on which one I decide on and a review!

Mugwump

Most excellent  ;D    I like jalapenos in mine...but Jan doesn't... :'(    tastes better cooked with peppers, than added on top.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

No Chile recipe can come close to this one.  Don't waste your time experimenting.  Make this one.  It'll blow you away.  http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1088670
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 21, 2014, 05:25:58 PM
No Chile recipe can come close to this one.  Don't waste your time experimenting.  Make this one.  It'll blow you away.  http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1088670

Thanks Liz. I am definitely going to try this.  It will be after Thanksgiving when I get tired of leftovers. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Go easy on the spicy hot ingredients except for the Chipotles in Adobo because their flavor gives flavor to the entire dish.  I lived in Mexico so I yearn for the burn.  First time I made it I threw all the other ingredients that said "HOT" on the label into it.  Hot chili powder, hot tomatoes with chili's, etc.  It was delish, but I actually had to put in sour cream to be able to eat it :-[  I did better the second time, but next time I make it I'll go for everything bland except the Chipotles in Adobo.

GraphicGr8s

Real chili has no beans. But I love Alton's recipes. Wish he were still doing "Good Eats"
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on November 22, 2014, 07:34:38 PM

Real chili has no beans. But I love Alton's recipes. Wish he were still doing "Good Eats"

Ah but...beans add the adventure to the mix..... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

I know, but like him, I like beans in my chili. I don't care if it not "authentic"  It's what I like.  I miss Good Eats, too.  Everything he made looked good.  Every one of his recipes that appealed to me was good.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 22, 2014, 07:42:47 PM
I know, but like him, I like beans in my chili. I don't care if it not "authentic"  It's what I like.  I miss Good Eats, too.  Everything he made looked good.  Every one of his recipes that appealed to me was good.

Most of it was great. I've done a bunch of his recipes. Only thing extra I add is anchovies.
I love anchovies.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

LizStreithorst

I just bought two tins of anchovies filets.  I tried the stuff in the tube but I prefer to chop them up myself.  The flavor is better.  Are you telling me to add anchovies to this chili that has rich deep flavor already?  I can't see what anchovies would add to that dish.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on November 21, 2014, 08:14:32 AM
Most excellent  ;D    I like jalapenos in mine...but Jan doesn't... :'(    tastes better cooked with peppers, than added on top.. ;D

As it gets to the last half hour of cooking take out your part and finish with the jalapenos.
Should get closer to how you like it.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on November 22, 2014, 10:09:08 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on November 21, 2014, 08:14:32 AM

As it gets to the last half hour of cooking take out your part and finish with the jalapenos.
Should get closer to how you like it.

It's best if the peppers are sauteed along with the browning of your meat.....the heat releases the pepper's juices.. ;D
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Then reserve a bit of the meat to cook with your peppers and add them back in to your portion later. Where there's a will?

Mugwump

I have a work around..... ;D.... but being only two of us, I usually 'spice' it up when warming up a bowl of leftovers.... ;D
Jon