• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 12:57:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 615
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 610
Total: 610

Which one is the scam?

Started by LizStreithorst, December 02, 2015, 12:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I bought a dehumidifier on ebay last week.  The seller contacted me and said that my unit was damaged in transit.  He offered to refund my money or I could wait for him to ship this week.  I opted to wait.  I got notification that the unit was shipped Monday and a confirmation from PayPal with the USPS tracking number yesterday.  I checked tracking and it has been shipped.

This morning I got this notification from ebay  Should I click the link or is this a scam email pretending to be from EBay?

eBay sent this message to Streithorst, Liz (l.streithorst).
Your registered name is included to show this message came from eBay. Learn more about how to tell if an email is really from eBay.

Your recent eBay transaction may be from a compromised account    

Hello l.streithorst,
You were recently involved in a transaction for the following item: 
281863865056 - Frigidaire ENERGY STAR 70-Pint Dehumidifier, FAD704DWD
We?re writing to let you know that an unauthorized third party may have accessed the seller?s account to list this item. The item has been removed from the site, and the transaction was cancelled. We ask that you take the following precautions:
If you already paid for the item:
- You may be protected by eBay. Open a request with the Resolution Center by visiting:
   http://resolutioncenter.ebay.com
- If the transaction doesn't qualify for eBay?s protection, please immediately contact the payment service used to request a refund.
If you have not paid for your item:
- Consider this transaction canceled and do not send payment.
In this situation, your account was not accessed by the third party involved. At eBay, we take a number of steps to help ensure the security of your account. Learn more about protecting your account at:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/account/protecting.html
Thanks,

eBay

Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.

eBay Document ID: 30998578006

Learn More about how to protect yourself from spoof (fake) emails.

This administrative email was sent to fullcircle1@att.net from eBay. As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you required emails about site changes, site enhancements, and your transactions. Read our Privacy Notice and User Agreement for more details if you have any questions.

Copyright ?2015 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. eBay Inc. is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

If uncertain, I would go to the ebay website and view your account.
Any real issues should be apparent there.

Generally if the email address is not ebay (or whoever it is you expect to be dealing with) I would not trust it.

Mugwump

..both links go to Ebay site...so they appear legit...?

..it seems that something was shipped....you have a valid tracking # from Paypal....you can wait til it arrives and still be able to file your claim with them if the goods are not as ordered....

..in Ebay's note the key word is 'may' have compromised....it seems they don't know either??...but then they state that they removed the listing??....

I'd contact the seller, if he doesn't respond..you'll have your answer and can file with Paypal for the refund....if he responds that all is good..then wait til the box arrives.... if it's not what you ordered...damaged, etc..you can approach the seller and see when he'll ship a replacement..show him pics....if he declines, or gives you grief.....then file your claim with PayPal....pics, correspondence, etc....you'll get it back....it's important to follow enough steps to make sure Paypal sees clearly that you've been mislead....you have a solid case if things go bad.....but who knows, it may arrive and be just fine....and Ebay simply trying to cover their butts should it not.... huh huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Thanks gentlemen.  I emailed the guy.
Always move forward. Never look back.