• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 25, 2024, 01:54:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,369
  • Total Topics: 18,548
  • Online today: 86
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 61
Total: 61

Cloudy Monday

Started by wsantia1, August 14, 2023, 05:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Good morning everyone. Hopefully you are all well. Things are a little rocky as yesterday my Discus broke out with an unknown Illness. I can't figure it out because I've been doing the daily maintenance required with water changes and wipe downs. I actually increased the water changes from slightly over 50% to 2/3rds of the 75 gallon tank over the last few days. 

I must say that is is frustrating. Anyway I increased the water temperature to 90 degrees, did the water changes and added salt at 2 tablespoon per gallon. A few of them have increased their activity after I added the salt. I have some metro and praziquantel available if needed. I'm hoping that I don't have to use them.

That's it for me at the moment. I'll check in with an update later.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Pics would help, Willie.  It's easiest to diagnose seeing the fish in person.  Tell us what they're looking like and what they're doing wrong.  I can probably help. Or if you want several informed opinions there's nothing better than filling out the disease forum and posting there  I have often been wrong.  You might be overdosing the salt.  the usual starting dose is 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Hope you can control the situation, Willie!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Is everything on the forum working for you, Ron?

BallAquatics

Morning all.  Glad to see everyone here as I've got a question for you all.

Now that we are on the new server, there is a major upgrade to the forum software.  It's a big update and I'm sure the look of the forum will change once upgraded.  I'm not sure how much longer our current version of the forum software will be supported and the upgraded version should work much better with all the other upgraded software that makes the website work on the new server.

My question is, are you folks okay with doing the upgrade, or would you rather just see what our chances are sticking with the old version?  One option we would have is to try the new version for a week or so and if we think it's awful go back to where we are now.  The only thing with doing that is we would loose everything we do during the trial period when we go back to the old version.

Let me know what you think.  I don't want to drop a bomb on you folks so I wanted to see what the general consensus is first.

Cloudy and rain here for most of the day, doctors appointments tomorrow, back to work Wednesday.  Hope everyone has a fantastic day!

wsantia1

Hi Liz. I actually added the salt at 2tbs per 10 gallons. It was a typo.
Willie

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BallAquatics on August 14, 2023, 09:07:11 AM
Morning all.  Glad to see everyone here as I've got a question for you all.

Now that we are on the new server, there is a major upgrade to the forum software.  It's a big update and I'm sure the look of the forum will change once upgraded.  I'm not sure how much longer our current version of the forum software will be supported and the upgraded version should work much better with all the other upgraded software that makes the website work on the new server.

My question is, are you folks okay with doing the upgrade, or would you rather just see what our chances are sticking with the old version?  One option we would have is to try the new version for a week or so and if we think it's awful go back to where we are now.  The only thing with doing that is we would loose everything we do during the trial period when we go back to the old version.

Let me know what you think.  I don't want to drop a bomb on you folks so I wanted to see what the general consensus is first.

Cloudy and rain here for most of the day, doctors appointments tomorrow, back to work Wednesday.  Hope everyone has a fantastic day!

I would go for trying the update for a week as long as when we come back we don't loose all of Mug's old posts.  Loosing what we have said during the week or two after we make the change, that's fine.  Me mostly have just been talking about the weather and all our physical problems. 

LizStreithorst

Quote from: wsantia1 on August 14, 2023, 11:13:11 AM

I still need to know in what way they're acting off.  Are they dark and hiding in a corner,  what does their poop look like?  Are they bloated?  Are they loosing slime?  Are they head standing or tail standing?

Honestly the best thing you can do is go to Simply and ask, even without pics.  Brian is the King of Salt treatments.  All I know is that the 2 T per 10 mostly relieves stress.  It doesn't cure anything.  But without more info, I can't tell you what to do.  Brian (Jeep) has cured a lot of fish for people using salt alone.  But I don't know the dose he recommends for what treatment.

I want to help, but I need a lot more info.

LizStreithorst

I'm back from the dentist.  He wants to pull the lower teeth (all of them!) on the bottom on the 15th. 
Time now for a bit of lunch as long as my meat has completely thawed.  I'll keep checking in with everyone as the day goes on.  Shame Barb is gone for a while where she has no internet.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 14, 2023, 12:38:57 PM
Quote from: wsantia1 on August 14, 2023, 11:13:11 AM

I still need to know in what way they're acting off.  Are they dark and hiding in a corner,  what does their poop look like?  Are they bloated?  Are they loosing slime?  Are they head standing or tail standing?

Honestly the best thing you can do is go to Simply and ask, even without pics.  Brian is the King of Salt treatments.  All I know is that the 2 T per 10 mostly relieves stress.  It doesn't cure anything.  But without more info, I can't tell you what to do.  Brian (Jeep) has cured a lot of fish for people using salt alone.  But I don't know the dose he recommends for what treatment.

I want to help, but I need a lot more info.

Liz I just got back home. I've been out all day on previously scheduled business. As of now the Discus are acting normal and ate well this evening but I agree with you that the salt is not a cure. As soon as I get a chance I'll fill out and put the form on Simply. It is hard getting things done at the moment because I have so many things going on at the same time. Having company from out of town and having a sick dog doesn't help the situation. huh
Willie

LizStreithorst

You don't have to tell me about how hard it is go get things done, Willie.  I was so happy with being able to get WC done early yesterday.  But today I went to the dentist and then to AutoZone for an oil filter.  Then I got home and had to prepare lunch.  By the time I got through eating at 3, I was so pooped and hurting, that when I was done and plopped in bed and zonked until 4:20.  I still got the 3 Discus tanks and 4 other tanks done and after feeding the fish and Charlotte dinner I'll plop in bed till tomorrow.  No book for me tonight.  I'll watch tube tonight.  Takes less concentration.

Tomorrow's the mechanic, but my appointment is a 9 when it's not beastly hot.  I'll also take something I made earlier for lunch so all I'll have to do is make the rice and warm it up.  Oops, I just remembered I have the supermarket, after the mechanic.  I should still get done earlier, though.  I hope I feel better.  I have 7 tanks that need a water change.  Wednesday will be my day of rest.

Glad to hear the Discus appear better.  I hope it stays that way.  Discus problems are much easier to resolve when they're nipped in the bud.