• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 06:57:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 509
Total: 509

Just when ya thought that====>

Started by Mugwump, May 01, 2013, 02:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I believe in the Gia (sp) hypothesis.  Do you?  It maintains that one way or another an equilibrium will be reached.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Frank The Plumber

with or without us it will find balance
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

Sure..the planet will heal itself by getting rid of us.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Well, we asked for it.  It's what we get for being the dominant species and thinking that we are so high and mighty that we can out maneuver Nature.  I hope it doesn't happen before I can breed a show winning Discus ;)

Frank The Plumber

Ahhh. There are more human like creatures out there in the universe. Killing their own little planet one water bottle at a time.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

LizStreithorst

Who knows.  Maybe the other planets can maintain a better balance than earth was able to.  It was a conceitful joke saying that I only wanted to breed a show Discus.  If nature were balanced on earth, I'd be foraging for nuts and berries, killing the occasional bird or rodent, and living in a dug out spot with tree limbs covering it.

Frank The Plumber

The clouds are moving east to west here pushing it west. This is why it is sort of just stuck there as a big purple glop of radar.

BillT

QuoteI believe in the Gia (sp) hypothesis.

I don't, over the short term.

It might work over the longer run (millions of years;
QuoteSure..the planet will heal itself by getting rid of us.
).
The gia hypothesis seems more like wishful thinking to me.
Some of the cycles described in the TED talk Dennis posted are anti-gia, instead of negative feedback on a change, there is positive feedback on a change, such as:
increased temperature --> melts ice --> surface less reflective --> MORE heat absorbed
or
increased temperature --> melts permafrost --> releases methane stored in the ice (a more powerful global warming gas than CO2) --> MORE heat retained by the earth

Frank The Plumber

I went out in the yard with my two 48" plumbing wrenches faced west ward and held them high into the air crossed to each other and commanded the storm to disperse and not unleash it's scourge upon my faithful customers.

My neighbors are now sort of afraid that it actually worked.

PaulineMi

Don't do that when there's lightening.  Lol....   ;D ;D ;D ;D
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on May 04, 2013, 10:38:41 AM
I went out in the yard with my two 48" plumbing wrenches faced west ward and held them high into the air crossed to each other and commanded the storm to disperse and not unleash it's scourge upon my faithful customers.

Oh brother.........what a 'wrench-ed' ploy....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

shatanka

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on May 04, 2013, 10:38:41 AM

WOW...that is actually pretty cool! Hey I was wondering if you are able to part the Red Sea too, like Moses? lol  just messin with ya! That is cool it stopped when you did that though!
A little off topic but speaking of Moses and the Red Sea, did you know that there were Pharaoh's chariots found in the Red Sea?- http://www.wnd.com/2003/06/19382/

Mugwump

Actually, the Pharaoh's were entombed with their chariots...most were found in the same or adjoining chambers....
Jon

LizStreithorst