• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 08:29:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,343
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 836
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 754
Total: 754

It's been a long day....

Started by Mugwump, February 12, 2013, 07:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Errands and fry water changes, etc...I'm pooped... :P.....might be an early night for me, I'm going to rack out early and read....tomorrow I'll finish water changes and clean sponges......
I wonder if there's any cake left for a snack??... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Reading in bed is such a pleasure. It's how I fall asleep every night.

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

'The Wise Men'...... by Walter Isaacson, Evan Thomas
in a nut shell...........
The six "wise men" of the title are Dean Acheson, who was Secretary of State under President Harry Truman; Charles E. Bohlen, U.S. ambassador to the Soviet Union, the Philippines, and France; W. Averell Harriman, special envoy for President Franklin Delano Roosevelt; George F. Kennan, ambassador to the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia; Robert A. Lovett, Truman's Secretary of Defense; and John J. McCloy, a War Department official and later U.S. High Commissioner for Germany. These six friends ? two lawyers, two bankers, and two diplomats ? were important foreign policy advisors to U.S. presidents from Roosevelt to Lyndon B. Johnson. Acheson, Harriman and Lovett had known each other since their days at prep school or college and on Wall Street. Bohlen, Kennan and McCloy were younger and did not know the others well until their public lives brought them into close contact.[3]

They coalesced as a group when Harry Truman became President of the United States in 1945 and needed foreign policy advice. They helped create a bipartisan foreign policy based on resistance to the expansion of Soviet power. The authors describe them as the hidden architects behind the Truman Doctrine, the Marshall Plan and Cold War containment. Kennan in particular is regarded as "the father of containment".[4] The book portrays them as personifying an ideal of statesmanship marked by non-partisanship, pragmatic internationalism, and aversion to ideological fervor. They tended to be practical, realistic, and non-ideological.

After the six had retired from public life, they and other like-minded establishment elders were dubbed The Wise Men.

In 1967 and 1968, President Johnson summoned them and a few others (including General Omar Bradley) to advise him on foreign policy, particularly the Vietnam War. In November 1967 they unanimously recommended staying in Vietnam but in a pivotal second meeting in March 1968, a majority expressed the conviction that the war could not be won and American troops should be withdrawn.

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

shatanka

Hope you're all rested up! And don't eat cake for a snack before bed! It gives you nightmares!
(something about the sugar and especially chocolate hyping up our system and not being used up if you just try and go to sleep on it or something...you'll have to look it up cuz I am sure I am not getting it all right! LOL) Yeah, and it causes you to not be able to fall asleep right away...ask my daughter who did the same thing last night! lol I told her not to...she did it anyway.

Mugwump

Quote from: shatanka on February 13, 2013, 06:26:58 AM
Hope you're all rested up! And don't eat cake for a snack before bed! It gives you nightmares!
(something about the sugar and especially chocolate hyping up our system and not being used up if you just try and go to sleep on it or something...you'll have to look it up cuz I am sure I am not getting it all right! LOL) Yeah, and it causes you to not be able to fall asleep right away...ask my daughter who did the same thing last night! lol I told her not to...she did it anyway.

naw, nothing gets in the way of me and my pillow....I drink coffee right up til bedtime...then zonk out dreaming of angelfish.....
Jon

shatanka

Holy..not me. No coffee after like 5, or I am up staring at stupid info-mercials all night..ugg!  You really dream of angels huh? Did you ever have a dream of them flying, or floating?  I had one once like that! They were like "swimming" in the air above their tank. I kept trying to catch them mid air, but they'd dart, like they do when you try to net them. I looked it up on a dream website and it said something about money, or wealth coming to you. I think they lied! lol 
Pretty cool dream though!

Mugwump

Nope...it's always the dream off flooding my basement and swimming with them..... ;D
Jon

Mugwump

...got a lot done today....50+% water changes on all tanks, changed out a couple dozen sponges, wiped down all the glass, set up the mini sponges on the fry tanks, moved some corys around, and even sliced up a zucchini for all the tanks with BN's....fed bloodworms, and cleaned the 'hot mags'.....satisfying... :D......I'm going to double up and change all the water again on Fri or Sat....fry tanks get every other day, except for the recent free swimmers, they get once/twice daily changes..
Jon