• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 21, 2024, 01:35:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,359
  • Total Topics: 18,544
  • Online today: 782
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 752
Total: 752

Het pr

Started by JC, September 06, 2014, 08:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

I got a het pr from Jon this past Sunday and they have spawned already!  It's not a huge spawn because they just spawned at Jon's right before I got them. I'm hoping dad did his job because he seems not interested

Mugwump

Mom's the 'hammer' in that pair. Dad is used to warding off tank mates. Being alone now is very different for them. They'll settle in more. If Mom's tending, they'll do fine. He'll join in now and then. It's been about a week, hasn't it? The batch that I have only free swam the other day.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JC

Yeah I figured it'll take them a time or two especially being in a new home. I'm just surprised they spawned so soon. Haha

Mugwump

...LOL...fatten em up a little.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JC

Well so far so good only 2 white eggs. I'm keeping my fingers crossed

Mugwump

Quote from: JC on September 07, 2014, 07:10:52 PM
Well so far so good only 2 white eggs. I'm keeping my fingers crossed

They usually pile the wigglers up top when they begin popping.....good parents.. ;D...you'll have more fry than you think.  ;D...watch for Albinos.. ;D
Jon

JC

I'm excited to try my hand at albinos...but a little nervous too

Mugwump

Quote from: JC on September 07, 2014, 07:46:46 PM
I'm excited to try my hand at albinos...but a little nervous too

You might not even see them if they're weak and die off...I know that Ed got a few from his HE pair...I haven't noticed many here....
Jon

JC

Got wigglers today. Looks like I'm missing a few though...looked around the tank to see if they moved them and didn't see them. Oh well, a few are better than none!

Mugwump

Quote from: JC on September 08, 2014, 06:24:58 PM
Got wigglers today. Looks like I'm missing a few though...looked around the tank to see if they moved them and didn't see them. Oh well, a few are better than none!

They're liked crammed together with the rest...???....the batch that I have are more than I thought too.....tiny fry to start...then boomba!!!...they eat like a swarm of locusts.....zounds!!!!!
Jon

Mugwump

..so far, so good here.... ;D....how's yours doing?....getting close, I'll bet....??

Jon

JC

Babies are doing well, all non albinos went free swimming today. I've never had albinos before is it normal for them to not be free swimming yet along with the rest?

Mugwump

Quote from: JC on September 14, 2014, 08:53:06 PM
Babies are doing well, all non albinos went free swimming today. I've never had albinos before is it normal for them to not be free swimming yet along with the rest?

They are a bit slower to emerge sometimes, yes.....a few folks separate them at this time, and raise them themselves.....Ed got a few just letting them go...
Jon

EdKaz

QuoteBabies are doing well, all non albinos went free swimming today. I've never had albinos before is it normal for them to not be free swimming yet along with the rest?

If they are anything like the ones I get from another pr of the kitchen sink fish of Jons......"HE's".....There are probably a LOT of albino and or white/light colored just emerged fry laying around near the bottom. MANY of which never made it.

The few Albinos I did get to grow from the pair, were after 4-5 spawns, and reading a post of Franks in which he suggested raising the fish (including through out egg development) in near darkness.....a post in which he wrote something about  light would cause permanent blindness as they develop......which leads to starvation due to their inability to find food, and reluctance to move.

You might want to try a lights out raising of the next batch if you are looking to raise any albinos from those. Its the ONLY thing that has worked to get a few albinos from my pairs light/white colored fry offspring.

JC

Thanks for the tip I'll have to try that