• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 08:34:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 507
Total: 507

Going Crazy

Started by Jdmcfast, May 21, 2013, 04:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdmcfast

We have been fighting a flea infestation for a month. I have treated the yard several times, all the flooring, sofas, and bedding. The 2 dogs have been on frontline and have been to the vet and been on pills too! Meanwhile the fleas just keep getting worse:'(
I have really been trying to avoid an exterminator due to the cost and mostly because of all the tanks I'm nervous about chemicals! But my wife had enough yesterday and broke down and scheduled them to come and spray Thursday. They say I will be fine as long as I turn the filters off and cover all the tanks, but I'm pretty sure they don't understand they amount of tanks and the extent of their importance to me.
      Has anyone else dealt with this? Are my nerves a wreck for good reason or am I over thinking the situation?

Josh

BillT

I have not dealt with a flea problem combined with tanks, but I have had to deal with cockroaches and silverfish in several zebrafish facilities.

We used a local (kind of non-toxic) guy who used baited traps rather than spraying. Don't think that will work on fleas though.
He also used things like certain (non-toxic) plant extracts to scare certain insects away. Again don't know if that would work with fleas.

We also had times where we covered racks of tanks when construction was making dust in a room. This actually seemed to work pretty well. We used big sheets over lots of tanks which might make it easier to seal.

Are they just spraying outside on inside too?
Can you seal up your house well?

Turn off aeration. Don't suck bad stuff into your system.

Alternatively, you could:
1) locate your air pump (or its intake pipe) in a known good location (pesticide-wise),
2) seal the top of your tanks (or a bag containing all of them) and
3) blow clean air into the tanks (or larger container).

This will maintain the tanks in a positive pressure situation and very effectively exclude anything from getting in. It depends however on the air source for you pump being uncontaminated and a enclosure leak-proof enough to maintain a small pressure difference (enough to inflate it). It will need to leak out somewhere however.
We have done this with building ventilation systems as well as smaller situations.

It is good to be careful, or things could come out worse.

Jdmcfast

Quote from: BillT on May 21, 2013, 05:21:58 PM

Yes they are spraying inside and outside:'(
My air intake is in the garage and most of my tanks are in the basement but I am still going to unplug it for a couple hours.

Josh

Josh

Mugwump

Quote from: Jdmcfast on May 21, 2013, 07:12:14 PM
Quote from: BillT on May 21, 2013, 05:21:58 PM

Yes they are spraying inside and outside:'(
My air intake is in the garage and most of my tanks are in the basement but I am still going to unplug it for a couple hours.

Josh

As long as they don't 'bomb' the place, you should be alright...air out the garage before turning the air pump back on and cover the tanks good......good luck...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

Nope no bombs! Just spray and powders

Josh

Josh

Jdmcfast

Fleas are gone! Atleast in the house it was going to be raining so he didn't treat outside. Hee will becoming back for a second treatment as soon as he gets back from Jamaica. Lucky guy

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Josh

Mugwump

Nice....Jamaca??....must be a good business?....LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

Quote from: Mugwump on June 03, 2013, 07:44:42 AM
Nice....Jamaca??....must be a good business?....LOL
Ya I guess so.......He must not have a fish room lol

Josh

Mugwump

Jon

Jdmcfast

Yes so far all are gone. Still waiting for the second treatment though

Josh

Mugwump

Is the Jamaca guy back?...LOL....
Jon

Jdmcfast

I haven't heard from him so I guess not lol

Josh

LizStreithorst

Josh, you said that your dogs had been on a pill for fleas.  What is the name of the pill, please?  Some are short acting, some are long acting but don't work well.  This is within my area of expertise.  I might be able to help you with the problem.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Jdmcfast

That would be great Liz. The dog are outside and still have plenty of fleas. I will have to ask my wife for the name of the pill though

Josh

Jdmcfast

Does Capstar sound familiar?

Josh