• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 08:08:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,342
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 613
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 610
Total: 610

I bought a Garmin

Started by LizStreithorst, August 08, 2016, 07:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I bought my phone for it's GPS but it seems that to get a connection with it I need to do something called "tethering".  I read that tethering is expensive and I'm unfamiliar with it.  My last smart phone always got a signal huh

I suppose I should have asked for advice here before I bought the Garmin, but I didn't.  The first address I typed in to it was my work address:  205 S Front St, Ellisville MS.  It's right down town.  It's an easy address.  The Garmin wouldn't accept it.  It would only take 205 N Front St.  I understand that 205 N Front St. exists although I have never seen it.  From what I've been told there is nothing there at all except empty buildings and vacant lots.

I'm disappointed.  I stupidly thought that if I bought a device that would only do one single thing that it would do that thing well :(
Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

I wish I could help you sort this out. I use extremely fancy GPS all day at work but I don't know the slightest thing about smart phones.
Dan

Mugwump

..'tethering' just let's your phone connect to devices....thru connectors, or wifi, etc....you shouldn't need a separate Garmin..??

your phone should have a built in 'gps' application..'app'...??....what kind of phone do you have?..and who's your carrier....Sprint?..T-mobile?...Verizon?..

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I bought this damn Garmin and I want it to work.  The phone is a not terribly expensive  Samsung.  I don't remember which one.  I think it started with a "D".  But what I want if for the Garmin to have the sense to take me to work.  How can I trust it to take me to places unknown if it can't take me the 12 miles down the road that I travel every day >:(

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 08, 2016, 08:02:54 PM
I bought this damn Garmin and I want it to work.  The phone is a not terribly expensive  Samsung.  I don't remember which one.  I think it started with a "D".  But what I want if for the Garmin to have the sense to take me to work.  How can I trust it to take me to places unknown if it can't take me the 12 miles down the road that I travel every day >:(

Then I'm afraid you'll need a signal off you phone to 'call home' for the Garmin to work....or a wifi hotspot
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

The Garmin works whenever it's plugged in.  At least it should.  Dotties Tom Tom worked in the miles upon miles of farm land where my stupid phone could not get a signal. 

I'll figure it out, dammit >:(  I always manage to figure it out when I have no choice.