• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 09:58:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 520
Total: 522

Cooler weather

Started by Mugwump, September 28, 2016, 10:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...with fall approaching, it's a good time to check those heaters folks. and hopefully there are some decent heaters on sale somewhere too, for those needing replacement.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

Yes indeed. I plugged a few back in today. Some of the tanks were down to 72-74F. Will plug in the rest over the next few days.
Cories love the cooler temperature.  I expect a few spawns over the next week.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

LizStreithorst

Jehmco has heaters for like $10. each.  They're WON heaters.  They could be a bit more but they're cheap as dirt.  They were so cheap I asked John about them.  He said that it was reported to them that they would not always get the tank to 90 degrees as advertised, but really...How often to we need to crank up the heat to 90?  I've been using these for a while now and I've found them accurate and reliable.  None of mine have stuck on or up and quit on me. 

Years ago I bought fancy expensive heaters.  I found that they failed sooner than less expensive simple heaters.  They all fail eventually (except the green Ebo's) but why spend a fortune when you can spend way less for something that lasts longer.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 28, 2016, 03:09:05 PM
Jehmco has heaters for like $10. each.  They're WON heaters.  They could be a bit more but they're cheap as dirt.  They were so cheap I asked John about them.  He said that it was reported to them that they would not always get the tank to 90 degrees as advertised, but really...How often to we need to crank up the heat to 90?  I've been using these for a while now and I've found them accurate and reliable.  None of mine have stuck on or up and quit on me. 

Years ago I bought fancy expensive heaters.  I found that they failed sooner than less expensive simple heaters.  They all fail eventually (except the green Ebo's) but why spend a fortune when you can spend way less for something that lasts longer.

I have a few of the WON's too.....the only thing to watch is that you keep them submerged, or unplug them during water changes....they'll pop quicker than hell if you don't...one little splash from the refill water....poof....keep em submerged, all's fine... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on September 28, 2016, 03:22:10 PM

I have a few of the WON's too.....the only thing to watch is that you keep them submerged, or unplug them during water changes....they'll pop quicker than hell if you don't...one little splash from the refill water....poof....keep em submerged, all's fine... |^|

Hello....????  They are submersible heaters.  They weren't designed to heat the air ::)  All my heaters lay on the bottom of the tanks.  I throw suction cups away.  They have no value to me.  My heaters are all under the level of the water even in the rare cases I do a "flopping on the bottom" water change.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 28, 2016, 03:40:16 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on September 28, 2016, 03:22:10 PM

Hello....????  They are submersible heaters.  They weren't designed to heat the air ::)  All my heaters lay on the bottom of the tanks.  I throw suction cups away.  They have no value to me.  My heaters are all under the level of the water even in the rare cases I do a "flopping on the bottom" water change.

yup, they are..........but some folks put em on a slant and then don't watch where the water level goes ...most times you'll get away with it...but go a wee bit too far and the WON's aren't as forgiving.....they'll either cook/melt cups quick....or powie on the first cool water contact....

...but as you said....keep em deep and horizontal...then you're fine.....(or you'll learn quick)LOL
Jon

wallace

All my heaters are jagers, some with the STC-1000 controllers. I've got 6 of these wonderful controllers and have them on the ageing barrels too. I don't go to the trouble to make them all cute inside of a device box, or mount them on anything, I just wrap a bunch of electrical tape around the back.
Dan

LizStreithorst

I'm not fond of Jagers myself.  I have some that I use, but IMO they tend to stick on.  I use them mostly for my water storage containers.