• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 01:48:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,337
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 628
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 629
Total: 629

question about an aquabid sale

Started by greydragon, October 17, 2015, 06:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greydragon

i just saw an aqua bid sale the guy said the fish have 5+ doses of blue  in them how is that even possible here is a link to his add
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwangelfish&1445142423

Mugwump

nope.....not a chance....I mean really...I have 5 doses of handsome, and that's rare.... w!w
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

And I have 3 doses of beautiful and 6 doses of brains 8) w!w
Always move forward. Never look back.

greydragon

this is what he said "Compare my fish to show fish won on web and cichlid society angelfish show and go by standard of a show angelfish, my fish would be good enough to compete on any cichlid show fish. At this time ,they have not been in any show yet.

2 doses of blue is an old story, when people were talking about Pinoy angelfish. My caculation of blue is this . When blue male cross bred with a blue female , then I got fries with 2 doses of blue. After that I selected and used those best of blue young fish of that pair and crossed again with another best blue line. With that I would add more doses of blue to my angelfish.

Why they only can have 2 dose of blue?"

LizStreithorst

Because Blue is a simple recessive.  With one dose of blue it doesn't express with 2 of the recesses genes it does.  Breeding blue to blue doesn't make the fish any more blue.  Only selection can do that.  I may not speak Greek but I took biology in high school.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: greydragon on October 18, 2015, 04:44:52 PM
this is what he said "Compare my fish to show fish won on web and cichlid society angelfish show and go by standard of a show angelfish, my fish would be good enough to compete on any cichlid show fish. At this time ,they have not been in any show yet.

2 doses of blue is an old story, when people were talking about Pinoy angelfish. My caculation of blue is this . When blue male cross bred with a blue female , then I got fries with 2 doses of blue. After that I selected and used those best of blue young fish of that pair and crossed again with another best blue line. With that I would add more doses of blue to my angelfish.

Why they only can have 2 dose of blue?"

It appears he hasn't learned much about genetics...??..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Are there polyploid (doubled (or more) chromosome number) angelfish?

If you could make angelfish polyploid, you could get more blue, but then there would be extra copies of everything.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on October 18, 2015, 05:34:02 PM
Are there polyploid (doubled (or more) chromosome number) angelfish?

If you could make angelfish polyploid, you could get more blue, but then there would be extra copies of everything.

no Bill, they are not...
Jon