• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 11:57:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,327
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 528
Total: 528

Moving fish.

Started by big b, November 28, 2015, 04:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big b

I have a 10 gallon with a lot of endlers of all sizes ranging from guppy size to just born size. I would like to move all of these fish to my other 10 gallon which has a lot of java moss. I can easily catch the bigger ones, even the medium sized ones. I am a bit worried about missing the baby ones. Is there a way I can be sure that I get all of the fry?

BillT

My most direct method:

Remove all the water and pass it through a fine mesh net.
Baby fish should not be in a net out of water (for long) or being crushed against the net by the water flow.

If your set-up allows it, I would do it this way:
1) put a bucket in a sink, bath tub or outside in such a way that you could siphon to it.
2) fill the bucket with fish safe water.
3) remove other stuff (rocks, plants, etc) from the tank
4) prop a fine mesh net on the top of the bucket is the netting hangs down in the water but the rest is supported by the bucket
5) siphon out all the water into the net, excess will overflow to the the sink, tub, or great outdoors
6) don't siphon out gravel and other things that could hurt fish if they land on them.
7) fish should be in net

big b

Thanks Bill, I plan to do this next saturday or next Sunday so I can have a lot of time.

ilroost

Why not just move the moss from one 10 gal. to the other, instead of moving the fish

Mugwump

Quote from: ilroost on November 29, 2015, 05:14:15 PM
Why not just move the moss from one 10 gal. to the other, instead of moving the fish

Dang it, Bob.....stop making sense.... w!w
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on November 29, 2015, 05:16:41 PM
Quote from: ilroost on November 29, 2015, 05:14:15 PM

Dang it, Bob.....stop making sense.... w!w

+1 lol  mim
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

big b

The moss has attached it self to the gravel and is growing individual stems. If I were to move it to the tank with the fish, it would never re-attach because the fish would keep bothering the moss.
I ahve a reason for all the crazy things I do  mim

Mugwump

Quote from: big b on November 29, 2015, 06:48:33 PM
The moss has attached it self to the gravel and is growing individual stems. If I were to move it to the tank with the fish, it would never re-attach because the fish would keep bothering the moss.
I ahve a reason for all the crazy things I do  mim

scissors and weight it down....bingo..moss in two tanks  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

big b

I don't plan to restock the 10 gallon with the endlers once I have moved them out, so there would be no point in putting moss in the other tank.

Mugwump

Quote from: big b on November 29, 2015, 06:57:25 PM
I don't plan to restock the 10 gallon with the endlers once I have moved them out, so there would be no point in putting moss in the other tank.

Moss eats nitrates....always a good thing....you can move/spread it around and get the benefits....get too much?...trim and sell it, or toss it away..
Jon

big b

I know moss eat nitrates, duckweed does it too. That is why the 10 gallon that has the moss in it so so clear.
I can't explain it so I'm just gonna tell you the other main reason why I want to move the fish. I think the time the water changes take is too much time. So I'm shutting down a few tanks, nothing much. Just a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon if my betta can behave with my guppies.

Mugwump

Quote from: big b on November 29, 2015, 07:06:54 PM
I know moss eat nitrates, duckweed does it too. That is why the 10 gallon that has the moss in it so so clear.
I can't explain it so I'm just gonna tell you the other main reason why I want to move the fish. I think the time the water changes take is too much time. So I'm shutting down a few tanks, nothing much. Just a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon if my betta can behave with my guppies.

...that's cool....was just tossing thoughts your way.... ;D
Jon

big b

I slept the day away so I'm gonna move them tomorrow before my water changes. I tested my water and there is only 1 tank with ammonia in it. the tank is the endler tank with .25 ammonia.

Mugwump

Quote from: big b on December 05, 2015, 09:54:37 PM
I slept the day away so I'm gonna move them tomorrow before my water changes. I tested my water and there is only 1 tank with ammonia in it. the tank is the endler tank with .25 ammonia.

Why not move after water changes?
Jon

big b

I do my water changes at around 7:00pm and they last until about 9:00 or 10:00 pm.