• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 04:26:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,327
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 647
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 633
Total: 633

Quarantine Question

Started by b125killer, January 31, 2015, 07:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

How long do you quarantine you new fish? Me I like to watch the fish for a week if it's eating and doing it's normal thing i put it in the big tank. But the last things i had in q.t. really needed to be in with other fish. I think that not being able to school with it's own is just as harmful. The Tiger loach is a good example of it. I had him in q.t. and i could tell he wasn't happy being by himself. He was eating and looked healthy just hid all the time. After he was in with his own kind he was a completely different fish.
Now i have the new corydoras in q.t. with the royal pleco and two longfin plecos.  There all doing good and really want to put the cories in with the discus. I also want to wait because if the discus get sick i can't afford to replace them at the size they are. Also the cories keep each other company so I'm not to worried about that.
Scott

Mugwump

After a few days of observance, toss in a guppy, or culls to test them that way too........or you can just QT with culls, etc too, at the onset.....they tell a story themselves, as does observance....the time to be really cautious is with prized stock......do you have a less valued stocked tank that you could group them in before introducing to the 'trophy fish'...??....like a 'half way house' to prove themselves?? after the initial QT??.....patience......it saves loses....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I was thinking of putting them in the planted tank. But bottom dwelling fish seem to hide real good in that tank. Plus there almost impossible to get out. I do have a few cull fish that i could put in with them. I might go that route. But if a fish is sick would it show signs in a week or so? Or should i wait a month?
Scott

PaulineMi

I always quarantine for a month.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on January 31, 2015, 08:15:20 PM
I was thinking of putting them in the planted tank. But bottom dwelling fish seem to hide real good in that tank. Plus there almost impossible to get out. I do have a few cull fish that i could put in with them. I might go that route. But if a fish is sick would it show signs in a week or so? Or should i wait a month?

Some do just that....tho a couple weeks should reveal anything....toss the culls in.....and watch....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I'll wait another week and put the cull fish in with them, Then wait two more weeks. I really don't want to risk my discus. It's not worth losing them over a few cories and me being impatient.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on January 31, 2015, 08:25:51 PM
I'll wait another week and put the cull fish in with them, Then wait two more weeks. I really don't want to risk my discus. It's not worth losing them over a few cories and me being impatient.

BOOMBA !......good choice  ;D
Jon

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

b125killer

So i put i  a cull fish Sunday now the plecos have ick, lost one of the long fins and the cull fish is dead.  Good thing i have been waiting to put the fish in with the discus. I just hope the the royal pleco can recover. He's loaded with ick. I'm thinking the long fin pleco braught it in. I just hope i can cure the royal and the cories. So far the cories aren't showing any outward signs of but that doesn't mean much.
Scott

Mugwump

..that's too bad.....if the cories are the Sterbias..??...they can handle the higher temps to cure ich...not so sure about the BN's tho....doubt it....good luck.....
Jon

b125killer

The cories are the Sterbias. I'm more worried about the royal pleco. I can handle the lose of the cories if it happens. The royal isn't my fish to kill. I'll feel so bad, I'm going to need to find a replacement if he doesn't make it.

Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on February 11, 2015, 07:29:39 PM
The cories are the Sterbias. I'm more worried about the royal pleco. I can handle the lose of the cories if it happens. The royal isn't my fish to kill. I'll feel so bad, I'm going to need to find a replacement if he doesn't make it.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140223185554AAhQydV
Jon

b125killer

86 is the target temp that I'll get the tank to. I just need to do it slowly. I haven't had to deal with ick for a long time. The original clown loaches had it. I cured them with heat. If i remember i think i got the temps up to 87. The old heater i had wouldn't get the temperature past that. 89 kills ick but i think that will also kill the plecos.
Scott