• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 04:16:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,327
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 647
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 633
Total: 633

R/O questions

Started by b125killer, March 07, 2014, 09:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

Yep home made heat exchanger. I'm going to try to make it next weekend. I'll try and use a bucket first.  Some people were complaining that a 5 gallon bucket is to small for it. If that doesn't work I have a few other containers i could try and use.
Scott

b125killer

The heat exchanger didn't work like I was hoping. It did heat the water, the problem was the 50 foot of tubing dropped the water pressure too low. It was a little trickle coming out of the ro filter.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on March 15, 2014, 06:39:28 AM
The heat exchanger didn't work like I was hoping. It did heat the water, the problem was the 50 foot of tubing dropped the water pressure too low. It was a little trickle coming out of the ro filter.

Reverse it....run the hot through the tube to heat the R/O in a container before using.......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Frank The Plumber

The water from your water heater actually has less mineral in it on the exit side as compared to the inlet source water or tap water. Demineralization of water works similarly to condensation. Cold water holds more mineral content molecularly than hot water does. When you heat water the water loses some of its capacity to hold minerals in suspension. When it comes out of suspension it forms the deposits. There is no way for hot water to reabsorb that mineral content because it does not have the molecular capacity to do so. Using your hot water is fine. Maybe even better than using your cold and if your unit runs better on warm water then use the warm water from your water heater.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

b125killer

Thanks Frank, that sounds better then trying to redo the heat exchanger.  I also need to get a auto shut off for the filters.  I fell asleep last night with them running. Good thing it's in my laundry room. There's a floor drain in there. 
Scott

Mugwump

When you get a chance, read this thread by Lou, the 'wet fish'.....it's a fish room build in general. but there's some interesting about water heating that you might enjoy.....Lou is the master, by far...some of his designs are mind boggling..... ;D

http://www.angelfish.net/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=15343&highlight=fish%2C+heating+water
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

Warm water makes the R.O. unit flow better. Get an adjustable mixing gadget like they use for toilets to mix hot and cold water so moisture doesn't condense on the outside of the toilet tank in the summer. The same mixer will provide warm water for your R.O.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on March 16, 2014, 06:24:07 AM
Warm water makes the R.O. unit flow better. Get an adjustable mixing gadget like they use for toilets to mix hot and cold water so moisture doesn't condense on the outside of the toilet tank in the summer. The same mixer will provide warm water for your R.O.

another excellent idea....cool.... ;D....and really, you're not 'flushing' your changes either... ;D
Jon

Mugwump

Jon

b125killer

I was trying the coil thing on a much smaller scale. I kind of had a feeling it wouldn't work but was hopeful. I do have spare tanks I could try it with bigger tubing.  But I'm losing water pressure with all the tubing.  I already had in my mind a way to mix the hot and cold water. Just need to get a few parts for it. I think that's going to be my next step.
Scott