• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 07:04:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,343
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 836
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 803
Total: 803

0 to 200 kilometers an hour in 8.3 seconds.

Started by Mugwump, February 03, 2015, 12:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Ferrari gave the first look at its newest road car on Tuesday, the 488 GTB, capable of accelerating from 0 to 200 kilometers an hour in 8.3 seconds. The Italian sports-car maker is banking on the so-called berlinetta whetting the appetite of car enthusiasts and investors ahead of Ferrari?s upcoming listing on the New York Stock Exchange.

The 488 GTB packs some punch. The rear-mounted V8 engine provides 670 horse power, with Ferrari crediting its speed and acceleration partly to a 50% improvement in the car?s aerodynamics compared with the 458 super car it supersedes. New electronics also make the car whip even faster out of curves that its predecessor. Ferrari hasn?t said yet what price the car will be sold for but expect a handsome six-figure dollar amount.

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2015/02/03/ferrari-woos-drivers-investors-with-new-488-super-car/

now that's hauling butt....out of my price range tho.....LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Heck just get a 2015 Corvette. Probably (assuredly) a lot cheaper and only 20hp less.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

..."Vet's" are nice...but if I ever got one, I'd want an older one....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

You could probably fill up a small parking lot with vett's for the same cost as one of those.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on February 03, 2015, 02:18:04 PM
You could probably fill up a small parking lot with vett's for the same cost as one of those.

LOL...you got that right.... ;D
Jon

BallAquatics

Corvette / Ferrari like Apples / Oranges  LOL

Back in high school I ran around with these two brothers.  Pete, the older brother, had a Corvette.  Mike, the younger brother, had a Datsun 240Z.  I can't remember how many time that 6 cylinder Datsun had that Corvette for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  LOL

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on February 03, 2015, 04:08:46 PM

Back in high school I ran around with these two brothers.  Pete, the older brother, had a Corvette.  Mike, the younger brother, had a Datsun 240Z.  I can't remember how many time that 6 cylinder Datsun had that Corvette for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  LOL

Dennis

Was the 'Vet' a 6 cyl too??...automatic??....the small 8cyl?.....agreed, the Datsun should jump him off the line...lots of torque there....but unless the vet's a piece of crap, it should pull him in the mid/high range.....or was the vet low end geared???......
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on February 03, 2015, 01:31:13 PM
..."Vet's" are nice...but if I ever got one, I'd want an older one....

I'll second that. I love the Stingrays. But hp sucked. New 2015 engine and some NO2 and I'm gone.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on February 03, 2015, 04:58:58 PM
Was the 'Vet' a 6 cyl too??...automatic??....the small 8cyl?.....

Curvy country roads.  They are sold as "Sports" cars not straight line dragsters.  LOL  Even with a big V8 the Corvette was NO match for the Datsun.  Ever drive a 240Z or a 260Z???

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BallAquatics on February 03, 2015, 04:08:46 PM

Dennis

Yeah but the Vette just looks so much nicer.

Rjb3

We need to give those little motors the respect they deserve.

In '98, had a Nissan truck that I drag raced in the Sheriff's Dept. "Beat the Heat" program. It was lowered two inches, shift light tach, and had a straight pipe. When I raced, I removed the top of the air cleaner and the paper element. I worried about sucking up a hot dog wrapper, but never did. That truck beat some pretty good hot rods to the 60' line and won a couple of trophies. It was a stock 4 cyl. that I drove back and forth to work. Got 30 MPG. The et's weren't stellar at 16.80 but the top end was 84 MPH. Not too bad for half a motor. LOL

Nissan told me not to twist the motor faster than 5800 RPM, so I shifted at 6200. The Auto Meter shift light tach took the guess work out of shifting. While I experimented, I noticed it was still pulling hard at 6500. I stuck with the 6200 because I needed the truck for transportation. I retired from racing when the truck had 160,000 miles on it.

I came out of retirement briefly and made my final passes with my 2005 Mustang GT. They were just 300 HP back then. The 2014's are 412. Best of three passes was 14.40 at 97 MPH. I'm permanently retired from the racing program now.

Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, it just brought back memories. Good memories.

BallAquatics

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on February 03, 2015, 10:36:26 PM
Yeah but the Vette just looks so much nicer.

Mine looked just like this one.....  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder  LOL

Dennis

Mugwump

Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on February 04, 2015, 09:12:41 AM
I like that green... ;D

It was a very cool car.  Had a dark tan leather interior.  When you popped the hood you understood why it had that long front-end like a Jag.....

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

Just so darn cool looking.

But my "Dream car" is still a 68 Catalina Convertible.