• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 09:46:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,346
  • Total Topics: 18,541
  • Online today: 879
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 763
Total: 763

Angelfish/Discus and breeding cones

Started by Mugwump, September 09, 2014, 10:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

I've been wondering how the use of breeding cones came to be used for breeding pairs of Angels, and discus. The breeding slate(s) makes sense, somewhat, because of the smooth and flat surface. However, the cone being almost cylinder shaped seemed odd in appearance. Currently, some folks have taken to using a PVC type apparatus as well. Is it the shape that they prefer?...or the upright nature of these devices?? Slats have for years been angled for their presentation to the pair(s) ....is straight upright better?
   I've decided to experiment a little. I have removed the slat from one pair and replaced it with a cone. For another pair, I've added a cone and left their slate where it stands. Angels have long frustrated hobbyists by spawning on filter lift tubes, and sponge chimneys....perhaps it's a more natural choice for them? Further experiments will include broad leaf anubia plants as a choice. In my experience the leaves are usually the 'go-to' preferred location, but given a choice between cone and leaf.....????
   Comments??...your own observations???....

note: the pair in the top pic spawned on a slate last time. She was eye balling the lift tube this time around. They now have just a cone.
The second pair used the lift tube last time, but was hinting at the slate this time around. They now have a choice of slate or cone.

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

What do these guys put their eggs on in the wild?

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on September 09, 2014, 11:51:08 AM
What do these guys put their eggs on in the wild?

Almost anything that looks good to them..logs/ sticks/ leaves/ rocks...yada yada ....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

My pairs seem to like the lift tubes but when I have them anubias leaves are number 1 with them.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I don't think there is a rule of thumb.  I had a pair of 'discus that would only lay on the tank bottom!  Sometimes my Angel pairs lay on the lift tube even if I have a slate or cone available.  Thankfully I use only sponge filters so it's no big deal.  It seems to me that most Discus prefer a cone to a slate.  Perhaps it's because of the curve.  I certainly prefer them to use a cone because the cones have a lip which keeps fallen eggs and wigglers off the tank bottom.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 09, 2014, 02:32:09 PM
I don't think there is a rule of thumb.  I had a pair of 'discus that would only lay on the tank bottom!  Sometimes my Angel pairs lay on the lift tube even if I have a slate or cone available.  Thankfully I use only sponge filters so it's no big deal.  It seems to me that most Discus prefer a cone to a slate.  Perhaps it's because of the curve.  I certainly prefer them to use a cone because the cones have a lip which keeps fallen eggs and wigglers off the tank bottom.

I like that 'lip' at the bottom too....downside to cones, if you pull the spawn you'll need a good size tank to raise them....at minimum. a 5 gal....not a terrible thing but I prefer 2 1/2's because they are small enough to keep the fry in close proximity to foods when feeding... and much easier to do volume water changes....ie 50% or better...
Jon

LizStreithorst

Barb makes custom orders.  I imagine that if the cone weren't as tall it wouldn't need such a large foot print which would be helpful in a small tank.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 09, 2014, 03:56:06 PM
Barb makes custom orders.  I imagine that if the cone weren't as tall it wouldn't need such a large foot print which would be helpful in a small tank.

I know but a short 6" cone, or shorter, could be rough to get a spawn on....???...
Jon

LizStreithorst

Oh, I see.  You're talking about using it when you plan to pull a spawn...  She has something called a hanging cone which is flat like a slate but has a lip.  YOu hang it from the side of the tank somehow.  (I've never used one so I don't really know how it's done)  It has a lip.  YOu might be interested in giving one a try.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 09, 2014, 04:07:27 PM
Oh, I see.  You're talking about using it when you plan to pull a spawn...  She has something called a hanging cone which is flat like a slate but has a lip.  YOu hang it from the side of the tank somehow.  (I've never used one so I don't really know how it's done)  It has a lip.  YOu might be interested in giving one a try.

Thanks Liz.....that might be one solution.....Hmmmmm....I wonder if Barb has a pic, and dimensions???
I'm hoping that the cone lip will give border line raisers a better chance at it...????...
Jon

LizStreithorst

Shoot her an email.  She's not on much now as she's getting ready for house moving.

Barb

Here is my hanging cone, $10, any color clay, any size.  I make them 10"tall, 4" wide at base, and with a lip to catch eggs/fry.  They can sit on the tank bottom, or hang from fishing line attached to a suction cup on the outside of the tank.  They work great for discus and angels.  I have many happy customers with them.  Here are pics:
Barb

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 09, 2014, 05:02:05 PM
Shoot her an email.  She's not on much now as she's getting ready for house moving.

I don't want to bother her right now, she's got a lot to do.....it can wait.. ;D
Jon

Mugwump

Quote from: Barb on September 09, 2014, 05:46:49 PM
Here is my hanging cone, $10, any color clay, any size.  I make them 10"tall, 4" wide at base, and with a lip to catch eggs/fry.  They can sit on the tank bottom, or hang from fishing line attached to a suction cup on the outside of the tank.  They work great for discus and angels.  I have many happy customers with them.  Here are pics:
Barb

Thanks Barb, those look cool....HMMmm....I may need to get a couple to try out...??....I like that little lip.... ;D
Jon