• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 02:14:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 518
Total: 519

Streaked Gene

Started by ghonk, May 19, 2015, 07:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghonk

I started this thread at TAF,anyone know the answer.
Please post here OR there.

http://www.angelfish.net/VBulletin/showthread.php?p=318528&posted=1#post318528

Mugwump

No because the streaked gene is on it's own loci......it just shows up better with a dark gene present....if it's there, it's there....crossing to an angel with a dark gene will uncover it, if it's suspected..

replied over there too....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

Quote from: Mugwump on May 19, 2015, 08:16:02 AM
No because the streaked gene is on it's own loci......it just shows up better with a dark gene present....if it's there, it's there....crossing to an angel with a dark gene will uncover it, if it's suspected..

replied over there too....

OH NO,PLEASE tell me this isn't true.If it is then that MIGHT stop me from buying fish from 2 or more of the better breeders,that are known to have streaked it their stock.So even their non dark fish wouldn't be safe from it.

I still don't get it,you said it just SHOWS UP BETTER  with the dark gene present.
But the Articles say,the streaked gene MODIFIES DARK,how can it modify a fish that doesn't have the dark gene.   

Mugwump

It modifies the appearance...not the dark gene......most breeders know they have it and will state so.....just ask.....frank had some blacks that carried it.....from Steve Rybicki.....not many others that I know of tho....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

Quote from: Mugwump on May 19, 2015, 09:25:08 AM
It modifies the appearance...not the dark gene......most breeders know they have it and will state so.....just ask.....frank had some blacks that carried it.....from Steve Rybicki.....not many others that I know of tho....

Thanks Jon,finally figured it out.
The Streaked gene modifies dark FISH,NOT the dark GENE.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on May 19, 2015, 10:30:15 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on May 19, 2015, 09:25:08 AM

Thanks Jon,finally figured it out.
The Streaked gene modifies dark FISH,NOT the dark GENE.

A few folks popped it into their paraiba lines to get better/random blue expression too....
Jon