• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 18, 2024, 11:59:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,357
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 47
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 30
Total: 30

Old Faithful is Going to Die

Started by LizStreithorst, November 08, 2014, 09:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

My dear computer guy gave me this PC after my old one up and died.  He didn't know me except for meeting me and he GAVE me this computer that he'd transferred all the stuff from my dead one to.  It was younger than mine but almost identical.  Why he did me such a lovely favor I have no idea.  The PC been doing me right for 5 years but it's here lately it is making me know that it is not long for this life.  It does all sorts of weird stuff on it's own.  I can see the writing on the wall.  I'm afraid the old girl is on the verge of death.  I will miss her terribly.  She has a lot in her memory that I would like saved. 

I'll have to replace the keyboard on my stupid little lap top and use it after the old girl passes.  At least   it runs XP rather than windows 8 piece of shit.  I wish I could give Microsoft a piece of my mind about what they call it an improvement.  Improvement my ass >:( ;D
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I guess that I'll survive Win 8....somehow....computers come and go....this one is ancient  ;D...
You might start saving any data that you want to disc...pics, etc.....??....I use DVD's as storage..lots of room....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Don't count on only one backup spot. CDs and DVDs go bad. I've had some fail in as short a time as 6 months. As I see it there is no long lasting media for storage. It's not a matter of if they fail but when. I've done tape, CD, DVD, and hard drives. They all fail. Best case now is multiple duplicates on different media. I've got my stuff on 3 computers and 2 externals. Next is another computer in a different state in case of natural disaster.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Barb

And here I was expecting to read an interesting story about Yellowstone!
Barb ;D

Mugwump

Quote from: Barb on November 09, 2014, 02:09:22 PM
And here I was expecting to read an interesting story about Yellowstone!
Barb ;D

Actually...me too.... 8)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson