• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 06:38:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 663
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 624
Total: 624

Powdered Foods

Started by LizStreithorst, December 06, 2013, 11:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I didn't get the point of them when I was breeding Discus.  Now that I'm breeding Angels I've figured it out.  I have 12 day old Angel kids.  I've been feeding BBS and live CBWs which they can pick at all day long.  Transitioning them to ground up flake wasn't going as well as I'd hoped.

Then I remembered that I have powdered foods from My Captain in the freezer.  I got them to add to my turkey breast mix for the Discus.  I put in a pinch of Brand X.  The water movement made it look to my eye like very large BBS.  I know that the fish knew that they weren't live but they sure did strike at them.  Later they went down and cleaned up the ones that had fallen to the bottom.  I'm impressed.

I have powdered Bug in the freezer too.  My pride and joy's will get that next.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Great....I've been feeding the 'egg fu yung' to mine, along with bbs, and microworms..I've found at about at almost two weeks they'll start foraging too. Foraging is a good thing for them to get started on as early as possible. The trick is to really watch the timing...too early, and the excess food turns to bacteria ...but once they get the hang of it...zounds, they get growing better. Microworms can be a good indicator..they stay alive longer in the water than bbs. Once they clean up all of them, then I begin with the powder type foods. Here's where BN fry come in...they scarf the leftovers and keep the bottom clean. Cory fry are good for this too.....or a couple small rams horn snails in a pinch.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I just found a sample he sent me to try of something called Sassafrass.  I thought, "doesn't sound too tasty to me".  But what the heck, my voracious ones had finished up a big feeding of BBS and were hunting around on the bottom picking on CBS and whatever else they could find.  They looked hungry to me so I tossed in a pinch of sassafrass.  They hit it same as they hit the BBS.

Then I made up a batch of Turkey mix for the Discus.  I had a large sample bag of Guppy Magic that had been sitting in the freezer for a long time because I was thinking, "what do I need with guppy food".  Well, I poured it into the ground turkey.  Guess what,  I tried it on the Discus and the fish tore into it.

Forgive me for waxing rhapsodic about My Captain's foods.  I can't help it.  I really think that they're wonderful.

Mugwump

I agree, it 's great stuff ;D.....try the 'Guppy Magic' on the fry too.... ;D...they'll scarf that up like crazy...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I though of that too late.  I poured up the entire double sized sample bag into the turkey mix :-[

Rjb3

So, the tests on Sassafrass are going well . . . . . .

LizStreithorst

Yes.  Please tell me again what you told me when you sent it that I didn't listen to.

Rjb3

It's actually a fish meal replacement product. I pump it up with all the good stuff fish food needs, and Poof. There you have it. I'd have to check my notes for the exact analysis. They're around here somewhere. LOL