• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 07:22:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 663
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 632
Total: 632

Probiotics

Started by Rjb3, September 18, 2013, 06:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rjb3

A few food manufacturers have entered the Probiotic food arena. They're using a bacteria strain from dehydrated bird feathers and one used in laundry detergent. Yup, laundry soap. Captain Bob's New S.O.S. Probiotic Flake, Brand "X", and Captain's Crunch now provide your fish with Eight. None of which are derived from bird feathers or used in soap. These good bacteria aid in digestion by breaking down proteins into amino acids. Amino acids are the metabolic fuel your fish need to grow healthy and disease resistant. It also means more nutrition for your fish and less waste on the tank floor. Probiotic foods are especially helpful after treating sick fish with anti-biotics. It builds their immune systems and removes the bad bacteria from their insides.

I've been working on this for three years and could not be more pleased with the outcome.

Mugwump

Excellent Bob, I think that it might well be an answer to 'older' Angelfish bulge, that you occasionally see....I'm looking forward to trying a bag too..... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

I'm thinking this is going to be huge. But then, I always think that. LOL There will be plenty of all three at the swap.

There's also a Probiotic Teenie Weenie Greenie on the drawing board. I'll know if it works by tomorrow.

Jeeze, this mad scientist stuff is fun.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on September 18, 2013, 06:49:38 PM
Jeeze, this mad scientist stuff is fun.

LOL..don't forget to tip Igor.....he keeps the laboratory nice, and cranks your generator probe up high for the lightning power boost....bwaaaaaha ha.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I don't know whether ingredients derived from laundry detergent and bird feathers make a good fish food or not.  Bird feathers sounds plausible if the protein in them is digestible  All I know is that when I added your Brand X to my 99% fat free ground turkey, the Discus went crazy for it.  I don't care if it's made from dog turds.  I let the fish tell me.  I need to order more Brand X soon.

Can you make a sinking pellet with chlorophyll pink?  I got some pellets from David, but they are very small.  I want a 1.5 mm pellet.  I'm raising Red's now, you see.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Rjb3

The natural B-12 along with the bacteria should produce Hydroxocobalamin which has a red color. Remember, I'm just a mad scientist, but the experts say it's a two step process. One links lipits with carbs. The second step is the synthesis of methionine.

You will have to try the Teenie Greenie with the natural B-12 and bacteria in it. A touch of paprika, a little garlic, and Poof! There you have it.

Rjb3

Teenie Weenie Greenie is set to go. The pellets are smaller than Teenie Greenie and have the probiotic additive. I can't wait 'till Sunday.

Is it Sunday yet? . . . . . . Is it Sunday yet? . . . . . . Is it Sunday yet? . . . . .

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on September 20, 2013, 07:59:02 PM
Teenie Weenie Greenie is set to go. The pellets are smaller than Teenie Greenie and have the probiotic additive. I can't wait 'till Sunday.

Is it Sunday yet? . . . . . . Is it Sunday yet? . . . . . . Is it Sunday yet? . . . . .

LOL...I know..the first swap is like a new holiday season  ;D
Jon

Rjb3

Sadly, one of the new foods I was hoping to have ready will not be after all. I had trouble locating the base ingredient locally. A bunch of it is off the dehydrator now, but I'm not going to have time to whip up a batch. There's still a lot to do before Sunday with the fresh foods that are ready and need to be packaged. It'll be ready for the next swap in November.

sschind

[/quote]

LOL..don't forget to tip Igor.....he keeps the laboratory nice, and cranks your generator probe up high for the lightning power boost....bwaaaaaha ha.... ;D
[/quote]

Cranks your generator probe up high?????  I though this was a family site
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

LizStreithorst

I heard something on NPR yesterday that was interesting.  There is a place that raises gazillions of insects.  They sell them to places that make livestock food and fish food.  Apparently they have a high protein content.  Might be worth considering, might not.  I'm not a mad scientist so I don't know.

Rjb3

I have yet to try insects. Hmmm. . . . .

There was a time that I harvested White worms along with Micro, Walter, and Banana worms and used them as a protein source for fish food. I called it Worm. It was too labor intensive to harvest all the worms. Plus, there are easier ways to get 40-48% protein. I'll try just about anything once.

LizStreithorst

It might be something to think about.  I'll go search for the story if you want to hear it.

LizStreithorst

I went digging and I found it.  http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/09/19/223728061/making-food-from-flies-its-not-that-icky.  Even if it's of no help to you, it's interesting listening.  NPR's science correspondents are good.

BillT

Drosophila larvae (maggots) are great fish food for zebrafish. I used them in 3 different labs I was in. They are good food for egg production, but are labor intensive if you don't have access to a fly lab.