• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 10:07:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 786
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 736
Total: 736

second try

Started by LizStreithorst, March 01, 2015, 03:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

I wonder what would cause angel fry to attach to discus? 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on March 18, 2015, 04:09:56 AM
I wonder what would cause angel fry to attach to discus?

Jan and I wondered too...we surmised that the darkening slime on the discus may induce some kind of chemical odor/reaction in the water that attracts them.....but then if it attracts discus fry/angel fry, will it attract others too?....predators?....or is it so minute that it does not project very far?...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I don't know how it works.  Perhaps some of the BBS sticks to the parents slime and once the fry take a bite they say, "hey, this is some good stuff".  This morning before and after I fed BBS no fry were attached.  This afternoon when the BBS had been eaten and the fry were hungry the pair was covered with them.

They prefer dad to mom because he gets very dark which means more slime.  Here they are on both parents.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Nice pics.....they sure are chowing.....who'd a thunk it?....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

That is amazing!   Great pictures too.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

wsantia1

That is great Liz.  Great pictures too. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

How good are angel fry at clearing the slime coat?...compared to discus....??
Jon

BallAquatics

Since they, (Angel fry), wouldn't normally behave in that manner, we can conclude that there is something very attractive in the slime???

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 20, 2015, 07:27:06 AM
Since they, (Angel fry), wouldn't normally behave in that manner, we can conclude that there is something very attractive in the slime???

Dennis

perhaps a chemical scent??
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on March 20, 2015, 08:10:00 AM

Dennis

There MUST be something that attracts them.  Maybe Bill knows something about this.

It would make a fantastic additive to Capt'n Bob's fry food!!!

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 20, 2015, 10:04:56 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on March 20, 2015, 08:10:00 AM

Dennis

There MUST be something that attracts them.  Maybe Bill knows something about this.

It would make a fantastic additive to Capt'n Bob's fry food!!!

Dennis

'extract of squeezed slime coated discus added' ??....too big for an ingredient label.... ???  ???
Jon

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on March 20, 2015, 07:22:19 AM
How good are angel fry at clearing the slime coat?...compared to discus....??

It's hard to tell.  When the parents are in the raising mood they are generally dark.  What is eaten is immediatly replaced, it seems.  That's why raising fry is hard on Discus and why the pair needs the best nutrition and water quality while their raising.

LizStreithorst

Dennis

I posted about this on the NADA forum as well.  John Nicholson said that donkey's years ago Jim Quarels did the opposite.  He raised Discus fry on an Angel pair.  He said that the Angels didn't like it much they raised the spawn.

Since it can go both ways, it seems to me that although they are two different species Angels and Discus are more closely related that we know.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 20, 2015, 03:51:09 PM

Dennis

I posted about this on the NADA forum as well.  John Nicholson said that donkey's years ago Jim Quarels did the opposite.  He raised Discus fry on an Angel pair.  He said that the Angels didn't like it much they raised the spawn.

Since it can go both ways, it seems to me that although they are two different species Angels and Discus are more closely related that we know.

Maybe not....after all many things are fostered on another's milk...dogs nursing cats, etc....perhaps it's nothing more than nature's way of allowing the young a good chance at survival....at least food wise....heck, I don't know..... ;D
Jon

Mugwump

How big are they getting now?......should be growing nicely on that discus chow combined with regular bbs/flake, etc....??
Jon