• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 11:28:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 786
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 733
Total: 733

Got eggs

Started by LizStreithorst, July 23, 2014, 03:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 12, 2014, 07:12:13 PM
Yes but since the parents are PB s attachment isn't easy.

What's up with pigeon blood ???

PM'd you a moment ago
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

They can't darken  like the non pbnj strains can.  the fry are  attracted to dark.  i used all the tricks and the kids are doing ok
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 12, 2014, 08:04:47 PM
They can't darken  like the non pbnj strains can.  the fry are  attracted to dark.  i used all the tricks and the kids are doing ok

Thanks, I can see that....are hybrid PB's bred to solve this dilemma?...or does it screw up the line?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

It solves the problem bby producing ugly peppered fish.  my pair are as close to pepper free as you can get.  important not going  to screw up quality in favor of ease of attachmensorry for the typos .  my fingers are too fat for my phone

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 12, 2014, 08:30:24 PM
It solves the problem bby producing ugly peppered fish.  my pair are as close to pepper free as you can get.  important not going  to screw up quality in favor of ease of attachmensorry for the typos .  my fingers are too fat for my phone

Ah, I see now....I always thought the peppering was a light issue.....for some reason anyway

probably should have read this first...doh... ;D
http://cefishessentials.com/Pigeon-blood-history
Jon

LizStreithorst

Here we go again.  the female is making runs. just practice runs so far.if she actually lays and theale fertilizes i will move the existing kids to a 10 gallon once the new batch start to wiggle.  tjeyre old enoigh to survive on bbs.

b125killer

Congratulations on them Liz.
Scott

Mugwump

Cool...more babies  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

No more babies for now, which is a great relief.  The male mad a few runs but the water was hard and many eggs fell off the cone.  Of the ones that remained most look good but disappear.  I think that dad is eating them.  Good.  I want the parents to raise a batch, I don't want to crank them out.  I have only 30 or so fry from the original spawn.  30 is a good number right now.  It's enough to grow out to 3" to see what the pair can do.  I have no market here like y'all do. 

LizStreithorst

Crazy lady spawned again yesterday afternoon ::)  Dad watched and cared for the existing kids.  I'll give the kids their own tank in a couple more weeks.

LizStreithorst

This is crazy.  The female is laying again to day.  Unless I've miscounted this is 6 times since July 23rd.  Stendker fish are known for being prolific but I've never seen anything like this.

Mugwump

LOL....a little vixen, eh?.....you might need an extra male ?? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

You call her a vixen.  I call her a slut.  If I had a ready market I would happily invest in another male.  As it is, I'm happy with the small successful spawn.  I want to see what she produces.  If her babies aren't good it doesn't matter how prolific she is.  It's harder with PBs.  You can't cull for pepper until the kids reach 3".  Sometimes they are peppered when they're young but the pepper goes a way as they get older.