• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 04:25:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 427
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 414
Total: 414

Rams spawning tonight....!

Started by Ron Sower, November 06, 2013, 01:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Yep!  A first time for me!  8g Evolve8 tank. 71F. Direct light!
Let's see if the first time parents are good ones!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Correction on the temp. It was 74-76F. The pump in the filter compartment keeps that water temperature higher than the room temp.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Good luck with them. What kind of rams are they?
Scott

Ron Sower

Quote from: b125killer on November 06, 2013, 06:02:10 AM
Good luck with them. What kind of rams are they?

German Blues.

Thanks all.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

I've had my 3rd spawn of these rams.  The last time the eggs lasted 2 days and this time it's going on 3, but there are fewer on the rock and 1/3 of them are white. I'm assuming they are fungused.  I've done nothing special to treat them; completely leaving it to the parents. I'm thinking on the next spawn I may pull the rock with the eggs and separate to a hatching vessel and treat with meth blue. 

Another possibility is that one of the parents may be infertile. Can anyone tell me a way to determine that? 

Before, I haven't been that concerned whether the spawn made it or not.  I'm just leaving the tank at the ambient 70-72F room temp. But now I'd like to step up the game a bit, so I'll be raising the water temp to 82F or so; still in the Evolve8 aquarium.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Rams do better in higher temps.  82 should be just right for them.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 26, 2014, 01:42:48 PM
Rams do better in higher temps.  82 should be just right for them.

They are spawning every 3-3.5 weeks. Liz, do you mean the parents or the eggs when you say ''better''?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I am no expert on GBRs.  The adults so perfectly at Discus temps.  For breeding I wouldn't lower the tank temp to less than 79 for breeding..  I could be wrong. 

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

You might need to adjust your water parameters a bit too.  Often, even though the adults will spawn, if the water is too hard or too soft the eggs fail to develop.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I think they're like Discus.  There is no such thing as water too soft.  Hardness could well be a factor.  What is your kH?  What is your TDS?

b125killer

Liz is right. They need soft water to spawn in. With temps around 82. Most GBRs won't parent raise, I think the Bolivian rams do better at parent raising. 
Scott