• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 07:27:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,334
  • Total Topics: 18,537
  • Online today: 450
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 343
Total: 344

I went to the Dark Side of fish keeping

Started by P4Angels, October 20, 2013, 01:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P4Angels

Yesterday a long time fish friend came over to the house and brought me something I was not expecting.  He asked me if I could breed some fish for him....  Victorian Cichlids - Psammochromis riponianus or Haplochromis sp. "Bugonga" (<- that is a mouth full no mater how you say it.)

These are mouth brooders.  First time with any thing like this... 

Not my Picture - random off the internet.   (male on top (in spawning colors) - female on bottom)

I saw these fish last year at the plant auction and wanted to get them then, but got a vetoed by my better 1/2. Originally these fish where collected by Kent Lawrence (click link for more info) on one of his trip to Lake Victoria.  He brought a group back with him and breed them in his home aquarium (here in the Seattle Area).  She picked up a group of juvenile at the auction.  Since then she has desired to move on to something else and offered them to me.  WOW okay,  so now all 11 fish's are in one of my 40 gallon breeders. (looks like 1 of them is holding.
8) )

Lori has stated,"I will not touch them, No way I'm sticking my hand in a tank pull out a fish and helping you strip babies"..... :o

So I guess I'm on my own (unless Jon wants to come and show her it's okay ;)  - Guess not huh!!!). So at the end of the night Lori turns to me a say, "You know you have just gone to the dark side of fish keeping"..  We both had to Laugh!
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

b125killer

That's a pretty cichlid. I haven't seen many Victorian cichlids, with the exception of the Christmas Fulu.     
Scott

P4Angels

my male is starting to color up after the move...   
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

ilroost

Nice!!. The only Vic's i keep right now is a breeding group of X'mas fulu's

P4Angels

Pulled my first batch of fry from one of the females....    She spit them out in a over the back breeding box..   Must be 20+ in there...  Another fish to add to the BAP program....

Barb

I used to have some mouth brooders many years ago, they are really fascinating fish!
Barb

LizStreithorst

Wow, what a beautiful fish.  I can see a fish like that luring you to the dark side.
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

P4Angels

I have about 10-12 1.5 inch one growing out in a 40 breeder now....
they are going to the next swap in a week and a half...   Then have to pull a few more and start all over again... lol