• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 09:16:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 636
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 602
Total: 602

Slate tiles from Lowes

Started by BallAquatics, March 18, 2013, 04:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

I needed to make some hiding spots in a tank and after looking at some ready made items and the prices, I decided to get some slate tiles at Lowes.  For ten 12" x 12" natural slate tiles it cost $15.00.  After breaking up some pieces, they look like they are going to work great.

With a piece of slate behind the stacked pieces they make perfect little caves.  I've got some soaking in an empty, (of fish), tank at the moment.  They don't appear to have anything on them except for some slate dust which rinses right off.

Dennis

ilroost

let me know if this works out. I have been needing some more slate, but was afraid that they used something in them that was harmful to fish

Mugwump

Some local quarries, and gravel pits, will let you load up on gravel and flat rock pretty cheap too..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

I have gotten scraps of rock or synthetic rock-like counter materials from recycling bins at some local counter (as in kitchen counter) making businesses.
Not all natural looking lke dennis's smashed up slate but cheap, rock-like, food grade, and free.

PaulineMi

Some trivia....we have a city in southeast Michigan named Flat Rock.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

What other rock towns are up there.....  Flint... Rockford...  You folks just love your geology.  lol lol

Dennis

Ron Sower

This is timely...!  I just finished making a set of ''caves'' similar to that to go in one of the school tanks.  It's got Af Cichs in it.  I used silicon to stack them and keep them together!  I have some flagstones that I'm going to take a hammer to and do te same for my clown loach tank.

Nice touch Denis!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Thanks Ron!  I was thinking I'd just stack mine without gluing them together with silicon.  With the nice flat surfaces they seem to be very stable.  I'd like to be able to rearrange them and take them apart for cleaning.  I've seen some photos where they stack slate using pleco caves in between layers too.  Looks pretty cool.

Dennis

Barb

And I can make those pleco caves to fit in between layers of slate!
Barb

BallAquatics

Quote from: Barb on March 19, 2013, 11:47:45 AM

As soon as I figure out the size caves I want I'll be in touch Barb!

Dennis

Mugwump

I love watching a plan come together....... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

I have used those tiles for breeding slates also they will cut them to size in the store for free
Josh

Barb

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 19, 2013, 11:52:34 AM
Quote from: Barb on March 19, 2013, 11:47:45 AM

As soon as I figure out the size caves I want I'll be in touch Barb!

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, anytime!
Barb

Ron Sower

Dennis, I siliconed them together because they went in a Malawi Cichlid tank and when they dig, rocks can fall.  Prior to glueing them together in the past they have pinned fish beneath and led to their deaths.  Also they could fall over and crack a tank's glass.

I've also siliconed pieces of driftwood together to make a larger piece to fit in a certain place in a tank.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Quote from: Ron Sower on March 20, 2013, 09:26:48 AM
I siliconed them together because they went in a Malawi Cichlid tank.....

I completely understand Ron, damn cichlids!  LOL LOL LOL  I loved them dearly for 30 years and then just got tired of them one day.  I had thought I would 'glue' mine together too, but after playing around with them a bit, I think they will be OK without the silicone.  .....no cichlids in sight   :P

Dennis