• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 04, 2024, 09:45:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 636
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 576
Total: 576

DIY LED's for cheap!

Started by BallAquatics, December 17, 2012, 02:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraphicGr8s

Sorry to resurrect this thread but how are the leds working with the plants?
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BallAquatics

I was very pleased with the way they worked for me.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on August 23, 2014, 07:27:39 AM

Dennis

Ever end up using that light rope for anything, Dennis?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on August 23, 2014, 07:33:25 AM
Ever end up using that light rope for anything, Dennis?

I think it was Bill who had the rope.

Dennis

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/index.php?topic=363.0

That is EL wire (EL = ElectroLuminescent). I am not actually using this for lighting tanks. It does not put out that much light. However you can run it under water (at least for a short time). EL wire is used among other things for lighting up clothes (like in the movie Tron).

I now use a lot of the light strings like Dennis has, but mounted on pieces of metal frame for making screens (cheap, light, fairly stiff).
I am also using green lights since in some fish this seems to promote breeding. No great success on that yet though.

I had a concern that they might dim rapidly over time. I have not noticed that.
I have had an occasionally individual light go out, but these might have been damaged by the strip being bent too much when I was gluing them on to their supports.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on August 23, 2014, 11:49:51 AM
http://www.mugwump-fish-world.com/index.php?topic=363.0

That is EL wire (EL = ElectroLuminescent). I am not actually using this for lighting tanks. It does not put out that much light. However you can run it under water (at least for a short time). EL wire is used among other things for lighting up clothes (like in the movie Tron).

I now use a lot of the light strings like Dennis has, but mounted on pieces of metal frame for making screens (cheap, light, fairly stiff).
I am also using green lights since in some fish this seems to promote breeding. No great success on that yet though.

I had a concern that they might dim rapidly over time. I have not noticed that.
I have had an occasionally individual light go out, but these might have been damaged by the strip being bent too much when I was gluing them on to their supports.

Thanks for the reply, and update Bill....green light/promote breeding....Hmmmmm
Jon

BillT

Here's a reference:

The environmental regulation of maturation in goldfish, Carassius auratus: Effects of various LED light spectra
Hyun Suk Shina, Hamid R. Habibib, Cheol Young Choia.  Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part A: Molecular & Integrative Physiology  Volume 168, February 2014, Pages 17?24

or
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1095643313002687

Somehow I got a free copy of this, so if you are interested in getting a copy, let me know.

Another problem I have had with the LED tapes is their adhesive not working well. I use a micro-bead of gorilla glue on the adhesive, which works great.

GraphicGr8s

Dennis
Did you find it to be low light or medium? Curious because of all the 4' fluorescents I am running now and how much they cost to run.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 23, 2014, 08:26:33 PM

Dennis
Did you find it to be low light or medium? Curious because of all the 4' fluorescents I am running now and how much they cost to run.

I'm in the progress of using Beamswork LED lights here....good lights, very good prices

http://www.aquatraders.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=beamswork&Search.x=22&Search.y=10
Jon

BillT

QuoteI'm in the progress of using Beamswork LED lights here....good lights, very good prices

http://www.aquatraders.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=beamswork&Search.x=22&Search.y=10

Wow, those seem like pretty good prices.
Free shipping on at least some too.

BallAquatics

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 23, 2014, 08:26:33 PM
Did you find it to be low light or medium?

Probably low light.  I don't grow anything demanding....  no ferts or special substrate.

I'd like to run the fish room with solar power sometime down the road and these look like a very good candidate for my lighting needs.

Dennis