• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 11:53:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,347
  • Total Topics: 18,541
  • Online today: 879
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 771
Total: 772

Pairs...yeppers

Started by Mugwump, December 05, 2016, 07:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

..grabbed two that I thought were a pair....eggs this morn'n.....back glass....but at least a spawn.....LOLOLOL

...gold marble zebra pair...'pb' ....yanked anther pair..they're cleaning... huh ...hopeful that I had grabbed a zebra pair on Saturday and they're cleaning too....

my eye must be getting better at it as I age..no glasses either....altho, I asked Jan's option too

..my lovely bride has a great eye too...learns fast...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Spawning Blue Marble pairs are coming out of my ears.  I hate it.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 05, 2016, 07:39:36 PM
Spawning Blue Marble pairs are coming out of my ears.  I hate it.

....any really bright blue...?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I'll give them a hard look tomorrow and let you know., but I don't think so.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 05, 2016, 08:01:09 PM
I'll give them a hard look tomorrow and let you know., but I don't think so.

I've seen everything from a light blue/blue/a metallic blue/ neon type blues, etc....always wondered what really caused the differences...?...
Jon

waterboy

I've been on a drought for spawns here lately.  I have some pairs in 20Hs and a couple in 29s.  Most of them were cleaning and defending in a pair up tank. Moved them to their own tank.....nothing.  I do have a black pair cleaning in a 55, put in a divider to give them a little privacy.  I have one spawn from a White Goldmarble pair in a jar that should hatch tomorrow. 
I have been using Angels plus hatching jars with pretty good success for quite a while. Up until recently. I have lost a couple spawns because the jar sponges clog up and cut off the water flow in the jars.  I've cleaned them good, maybe they are just getting old, although a brand new one did the same thing last week.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on December 06, 2016, 12:20:17 PM
I've been on a drought for spawns here lately.  I have some pairs in 20Hs and a couple in 29s.  Most of them were cleaning and defending in a pair up tank. Moved them to their own tank.....nothing.  I do have a black pair cleaning in a 55, put in a divider to give them a little privacy.  I have one spawn from a White Goldmarble pair in a jar that should hatch tomorrow. 
I have been using Angels plus hatching jars with pretty good success for quite a while. Up until recently. I have lost a couple spawns because the jar sponges clog up and cut off the water flow in the jars.  I've cleaned them good, maybe they are just getting old, although a brand new one did the same thing last week.

...are you checking the bottom of the jar to see that the space is there between sponge/jar bottom..?....also, I'm told that you don't really need to drive em hard with the air....?....heavy feeding jams them up too....I made a home made one and it works...but I don't like the space limitations when cleaning, etc.....so I just keep using my 2 1/2's....
Jon

Mugwump

Quote from: Mugwump on December 05, 2016, 07:36:05 PM
..grabbed two that I thought were a pair....eggs this morn'n.....back glass....but at least a spawn.....LOLOLOL

....and still there...couple whites is all.... |^|
Jon

Mugwump

...not many left....but they get a 'A' for first time effort.... |^|
Jon

waterboy

Quote from: Mugwump on December 06, 2016, 12:33:11 PM

...are you checking the bottom of the jar to see that the space is there between sponge/jar bottom..?....also, I'm told that you don't really need to drive em hard with the air....?....heavy feeding jams them up too....I made a home made one and it works...but I don't like the space limitations when cleaning, etc.....so I just keep using my 2 1/2's....

Plenty of room below the bottom sponge.  I put the jars in a 10 gallon, usually with another batch of bigger angels so I am pretty sure the water is OK. Could very well be that extra food is doing it.  I have some 2-1/2s running with matten filters will give them another try, but I haven't had too much success in the past.  Just had a batch of Platinums make it so things aren't too bad.  I suspect  that some sponges clog up and just don't clean out well. 
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on December 07, 2016, 09:19:28 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on December 06, 2016, 12:33:11 PM

Plenty of room below the bottom sponge.  I put the jars in a 10 gallon, usually with another batch of bigger angels so I am pretty sure the water is OK. Could very well be that extra food is doing it.  I have some 2-1/2s running with matten filters will give them another try, but I haven't had too much success in the past.  Just had a batch of Platinums make it so things aren't too bad.  I suspect  that some sponges clog up and just don't clean out well.

....I just like the 2 1/2's because I can reach in and clean them better....plus fry can be raised in them for a bit....do you have extra jar sponges that you can rotate out between uses for better cleaning...then they can air dry too...
Jon

waterboy

Yes I have several jar sponges that I clean after every use and let dry out.  Even have several that I have made myself.  I just cut a new one from poret foam that didn't work out too well as it was cut from a 20 ppi sheet. 20 ppi is a little too course. I put a thin covering of smaller pore foam over the top and that seems to work OK. Will need to do a lot more experimenting.  Probably will try a 30 ppi sheet the next time I order from Swiss Tropicals.
Actually, the sponges from angels plus shrink after a while and get loose in the jar. The ones that seem to work the best I have wrapped with soft foam to seal the edge.  The soft foam seems to allow better water flow.  I've got a couple pairs that are spawning so I have enough to work with.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on December 07, 2016, 09:41:33 AM
Yes I have several jar sponges that I clean after every use and let dry out.  Even have several that I have made myself.  I just cut a new one from poret foam that didn't work out too well as it was cut from a 20 ppi sheet. 20 ppi is a little too course. I put a thin covering of smaller pore foam over the top and that seems to work OK. Will need to do a lot more experimenting.  Probably will try a 30 ppi sheet the next time I order from Swiss Tropicals.
Actually, the sponges from angels plus shrink after a while and get loose in the jar. The ones that seem to work the best I have wrapped with soft foam to seal the edge.  The soft foam seems to allow better water flow.  I've got a couple pairs that are spawning so I have enough to work with.

...Steve's shrink?...wonder what's with that..?   ask Stephen for a recommendation..he'll likely have a good idea as he cuts 'em for many applications...
Jon

waterboy

I just might do that.  Every little bit helps.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on December 07, 2016, 09:52:23 AM
I just might do that.  Every little bit helps.

|^|+1.....plus, he's a great guy too.... |^|
Jon