• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 17, 2024, 01:17:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,357
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 760
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 711
Total: 712

Working from home.

Started by LizStreithorst, July 15, 2016, 03:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

This has always been in the back of my mind but it hasn't been within reach until now, and I'm still not sure if it is because I live 12 miles out in the sticks from down town Ellisville, and 20 miles from Laurel.  BUT it takes me $1,000 a month to keep my doors open in town.  I take in $4,000 on a really killer month.  It's mostly closer to $3,000.

If I were to do this I would have to get a portable building, and have electrical and plumbing run to it.  We don't need permits out here.  We don't need to follow "code".  Getting someone to do it not running the dog shampoo and rinse water to the septic tank but down to the ravine, and hook up power to the building with out a separate meter might be difficult.  I know that Mr. sharp could do it.  Whether he would is a different matter.

I'm just thinking right now.  I need to save up a bundle before I make the leap.  I don't know how many of my clients will follow me to the sticks. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

I've been working from home full-time since 1998.  There is a bit of an adjustment, but you would have that any place new...

Dennis

Mugwump

..If even half of your clientele will follow you it would work pretty good....and you might pick up one or two customers from south of you that had thought that Ellisville, but now would be closer... and I guess you could take up some slack by being an occasional traveling clipper.... huh

....question tho, are you ready to reduce your face to face time with folks?...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Yeah, but you do IT.  My people have dogs and they will have to drive to me.  I can't go to them.  I need to have a lot of equipment to do a good work. 

I'm just thinking this over while I sock away money from the government. They give it to me because only because I'm old.  People tell me that I've earned it...that I deserve it.  I ain't about to send it back, that's for sure.  I have always been able to do for myself, regardless.  Suddenly I have this monthly windfall that I didn't quit believe would ever happen.  [bjJustb] because I'm old![/b].  It seems rather unfair to me but it is what it is....

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 15, 2016, 05:38:23 PM
Yeah, but you do IT.  My people have dogs and they will have to drive to me.  I can't go to them.  I need to have a lot of equipment to do a good work. 

I'm just thinking this over while I sock away money from the government. They give it to me because only because I'm old.  People tell me that I've earned it...that I deserve it.  I ain't about to send it back, that's for sure.  I have always been able to do for myself, regardless.  Suddenly I have this monthly windfall that I didn't quit believe would ever happen.  [bjJustb] because I'm old![/b].  It seems rather unfair to me but it is what it is....

S/S is about the time coming when you're not able to work very much, or not at all....age, disability, or whatever.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I doubt that I'd get half.  Most folks use me because I do a good job and am kind and caring about them and their dogs.  Lots of old people there, but not all.  For the old ones, driving to Rainey Community for drop off and pick up would be more than they would be willing to do. 

As far as face time, I'd have more here than I have at the shop and I almost always have time to talk to them at the shop.

Just thinking about it. Nothing more.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on July 15, 2016, 05:45:35 PM

S/S is about the time coming when you're not able to work very much, or not at all....age, disability, or whatever.....

That's why I feel guilty getting it now while I'm strong and healthy.  Look at you, Mug.  You are strong and healthy.  You could earn a living.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 15, 2016, 05:50:51 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on July 15, 2016, 05:45:35 PM

That's why I feel guilty getting it now while I'm strong and healthy.  Look at you, Mug.  You are strong and healthy.  You could earn a living.

....a partial living perhaps...?  somewhere?.....but doing some of the things that I was doing....no....

..you should have no guilt....your S/S was earned......we work all our lives with $$$'s coming out of our paychecks....the money is ours to receive....
Jon

LizStreithorst

If I got poor, I could pics up a day's work somewhere.  I didn't earn it.  A good bit of my income has always been in cash.  I collected on my husband's SS.  I got more that twice what I deserve.  I'm taking advantage of the system.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 15, 2016, 07:01:14 PM
If I got poor, I could pics up a day's work somewhere.  I didn't earn it.  A good bit of my income has always been in cash.  I collected on my husband's SS.  I got more that twice what I deserve.  I'm taking advantage of the system.

....nope, you're not..... 2c2
Jon

LizStreithorst

I am.  I am not squeaky clean.  I am dishonest.  Oh well...They give it to me because they think I deserve it.  I know better.

Let's keep this between us.  Y'all here are the only ones that know that I'm a cheater.  It's hard to live with.

BallAquatics

LizStreithorst

I am and I know it.  Y'all can't change my mind.  It's not right to cheat the government out f money.  I have done it all my life and I am doing it today.  I'm not about to stop.  I guess I'll just have to learn to live with myself.  I am not as nearly perfect as I would to believe. I am.  Oh well...

ilroost

No way Liz are you cheating the govt. they owe you!! Now you want to see cheating the govt. just look at all the folks who are young and strong but sit on their ass and collect food stamps and whatever else they can get. I started working when I was 14, going to school half day and working half day. I am now 55 and have never been without a job. When it comes time for me to get SS I am getting every penny I can.

LizStreithorst

My guilt aside I ain't about to give it back.  People with more money that I have get money back on their taxes.  If I new how to do that I'd likely get money back, too. 

Now to working from home which this thread is supposed to be about...Nobody can see these pics unless they're a member of Simply because I don't know how to move the pics.  Larry Bugg, the former president of NADA just moved and bought this lovely portable building to use as a fish house.  It is just what I would like to have as a home shop.  A small seating area out on the front deck, a small sitting area inside the shop. and enough room for all grooming stuff.  I love it.  http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?125222-Bought-my-Discus-a-Cabin#post1222635