• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 04:10:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 646
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 646
Total: 646

What to breed??

Started by JC, December 01, 2014, 06:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

How do you guys decide what you are going to keep and breed in your fishrooms?? 

I think for me that's a hard decision because I like all kinds of fish. I will always have a breeding pair of angels but I also want to breed plecos, cories, electric blue acaras, electric blue jack dempseys, gold Rams, tropheus, and a bunch of fish from lake tanganyika! 

It would be possible to do if I had unlimited money, tanks, and time to devote to this but that's obviously not feasible.

So how do you decide what you're going to breed?

LizStreithorst

You need to decide which most turns you on.  If money is a factor you also need to take into account what sells.
Always move forward. Never look back.

JC

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 01, 2014, 06:38:09 PM
You need to decide which most turns you on.  If money is a factor you also need to take into account what sells.

That's my problem is that all those I listed turn me on. I also like guppies and blood red sailfin swordtails. Haha. Money doesn't matter to me as long as I get enough to support my hobby (makes the wife happy that way) and if I have an outlet for the babies

Mugwump

Chart a wish list, and start with the easiest to obtain first.....make a journal of each experience, as you move through the other species ........without excess funds, and space, it would be impossible to house them all, so eliminate each program(s), as you add others...only keeping your core passion intact.
  You might even dedicate a specific area (rack of tanks) to these projects only, forcing yourself to move one project out before beginning another....??? We delve into little side diversions all the time. It helps to enlarge your knowledge, without sacrificing your true interest. It broadens your scope of the hobby in general by opening new doors of adventure.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

It will take time.  Having the ability so make money selling your the kids from all these different types actually makes it harder to decide.

I totally changed my focus after I got that devastating herpes virus from imported Discus.  I never ever ever ever thought that my main focus would be anything BUT Discus.  Things changed.  Things always change. 

I guess the only honest thing to tell you, because it's what I do, is follow your heart but don't ignore what your head has to say.  Not the best advice, I guess :-[
Always move forward. Never look back.

JC

Thank you both for your responses. I just enjoy this hobby so much and  get bored with projects and to a point I'm impatient which doesn't help. What makes things really hard is that my true passion is angelfish and I see so many beautiful babies that I want to raise them to breed them which leaves no room for anything else

Mugwump

Quote from: JC on December 01, 2014, 07:45:21 PM
Thank you both for your responses. I just enjoy this hobby so much and  get bored with projects and to a point I'm impatient which doesn't help. What makes things really hard is that my true passion is angelfish and I see so many beautiful babies that I want to raise them to breed them which leaves no room for anything else

Select your futures, then move the rest out....it's the only way to remain sane.....LOL....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

Thru the years i change it up. I will breed something for awhile then move on to something else.
One thing that has been a constant in the fishroom is a breeding pair of convicts. Don't ask me why but i have always had a pair.
It just wouldn't seem right of i didn't have a pair of them

BallAquatics

Quote from: ilroost on December 03, 2014, 08:11:38 PM
It just wouldn't seem right of i didn't have a pair of them

I can definitely relate to this.  While I don't have Convicts, I've got Honduran Red Points..... might as well be Convicts  LOL

Dennis