• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 04:23:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 786
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 747
Total: 747

Barb's big news.

Started by Barb, August 25, 2014, 07:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

Hi everyone!  I will be reading the forum here daily, as always, but won't be spending more than a few minutes here and there.  I hope to have time once in awhile to post, especially to keep Earl on his travels  ;D.

Bill and I are moving, staying here in New Bern, but the other side of town, and a new smaller house is being built for us.  Supposed to be ready for us sometime in January. Our present house goes on the market sometime in November.  I have tons of stuff to give away, sell or just throw out.  Will be keeping my fish and our 4 cats of course. 

I just can't take care of our large house, 3 acres of landscaped yard, and all my hobbies and my pottery business.  I can do a lot, but now that Bill is basically an invalid, I must make life simpler for us.  So, our new house will be on .20 acres, and I will have a small front and back yard I can manage all by myself. Bill can feed the birds and sit on our front porch or screened porch in back and enjoy nature.  I will make a small goldfish pond and waterfall back there.

My 6 full grown koi are going to live in a 15,000 gal pond outside the chemo rooms at our Cancer Care Center.  It has 2 large waterfalls going into it, and is surrounded by beautiful rock work.  My fish will love living there.  They are all about 12-14 yrs. old, many years to go.

So, wish me luck with all the work I have ahead of me.  Good thing I am healthy.
Barb :) :)

Mugwump

Quote from: Barb on August 25, 2014, 07:21:47 PM
Hi everyone!  I will be reading the forum here daily, as always, but won't be spending more than a few minutes here and there.  I hope to have time once in awhile to post, especially to keep Earl on his travels  ;D.

Bill and I are moving, staying here in New Bern, but the other side of town, and a new smaller house is being built for us.  Supposed to be ready for us sometime in January. Our present house goes on the market sometime in November.  I have tons of stuff to give away, sell or just throw out.  Will be keeping my fish and our 4 cats of course. 

I just can't take care of our large house, 3 acres of landscaped yard, and all my hobbies and my pottery business.  I can do a lot, but now that Bill is basically an invalid, I must make life simpler for us.  So, our new house will be on .20 acres, and I will have a small front and back yard I can manage all by myself. Bill can feed the birds and sit on our front porch or screened porch in back and enjoy nature.  I will make a small goldfish pond and waterfall back there.

My 6 full grown koi are going to live in a 15,000 gal pond outside the chemo rooms at our Cancer Care Center.  It has 2 large waterfalls going into it, and is surrounded by beautiful rock work.  My fish will love living there.  They are all about 12-14 yrs. old, many years to go.

So, wish me luck with all the work I have ahead of me.  Good thing I am healthy.
Barb :) :)

Well congrat's on the new house....and have fun getting it built and all...grab some progress pics along the way....we'll share em with 'Earl'...... ;D...I like adventures too...good luck !!!!!
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

This is old news to me since we are close friends.  I'm so happy to hear that you found a great home for the Koi.  I'm taking the blasted Angel pair of your hands :P  You are doing what's right for you.
Always move forward. Never look back.

ilroost

Sounds like a good plan. Best of luck with your move

GraphicGr8s

With the title I thought you were pregnant. :)

Congrats on the new house.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Ron Sower

Quote from: Barb on August 25, 2014, 07:21:47 PM
I have tons of stuff to give away, sell or just throw out.  Will be keeping my fish and our 4 cats of course. 

You are using the pronoun "I" instead of we. You're not getting rid of Bill too are you?  ???

I think what you are doing is superb. Linda and I moved to a smaller home on a tiny lot in a senior community and we love it. For us the downsizing was almost the perfect thing to do. Almost, because I have less room for aquaria..!! But we do love our home now. So much less to have to take care of.

Building a pond for Bill is a wonderful thing to do. I wish I could be there to help you do this.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

PaulineMi

Barb I forgot to ask you in our emails.....will you still have time to do your volunteer work at the aquarium? 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Barb

Thanks for all your kind comments!  Nope, not pregnant, I am 63 after all......been there done that twice, son is 40, daughter is 38.  We did our duty  ;D ;D
Ron, everywhere I said "I" is where I will be doing things alone, while Bill watches of course.

I am taking Jan-Mar off from the aquarium.  Those are real slow months there anyway.

If you all are interested I can give updates and some pics as things progress.  In one mo. or less the construction begins. 

Mugwump

Quote from: Barb on August 26, 2014, 07:12:02 AM
Thanks for all your kind comments!  Nope, not pregnant, I am 63 after all......been there done that twice, son is 40, daughter is 38.  We did our duty  ;D ;D
Ron, everywhere I said "I" is where I will be doing things alone, while Bill watches of course.

I am taking Jan-Mar off from the aquarium.  Those are real slow months there anyway.

If you all are interested I can give updates and some pics as things progress.  In one mo. or less the construction begins.

Updates and pics would be great !! Get Bill a clipboard and a camera, let him help out... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Barb, best wishes on your move. ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

GraphicGr8s

Hey it could happen. Look at the 70 something over in India that got preggers.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Barb

Quote from: Mugwump on August 26, 2014, 07:48:11 AM

Updates and pics would be great !! Get Bill a clipboard and a camera, let him help out... ;D

Our new home was started about 2 weeks ago, poured concrete slab, then dried a week, then started framing.  In just 3 days they went from slab to this, don't know how many men worked, must have been a big crew.  We love what we see so far.  There will be a front porch, and a smallish screened back porch.  Small front yard, small side yards, and a med. sized fenced in backyard.  A whole blank canvqs for me to landscape.  Will be doing a small rock work, goldfish/plant pond in the backyard.  We are hoping to move in between Jan 15 and 30.  Busy busy here at home getting ready to move.  And I am much more careful with ladders.
Barb

Barb

The previous pic is the back of the house, here is the front

Mugwump

Looks great, Barb....I know that you can't wait to get in there and really make it 'home'....you'll have spring to get things planted too.....and a green yard and flower beds by summer...cool  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.