• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 13, 2024, 11:30:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,343
  • Total Topics: 18,540
  • Online today: 836
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 762
Total: 762

..perfect

Started by Mugwump, November 23, 2018, 05:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Dan Rather
35 mins ยท

On a Thanksgiving walk with my grandson, amidst the post oaks on the outskirts of Austin where we could feel both the pull of the growing city at our backs and the stretching prairie before us, I experienced one of those transcendental moments that make nature so mysterious and awe inspiring.

The air was a pleasant warmth and the potent sunlight was mottled by the golden hue of the leaves, Autumn comes late down here. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, came a group of ladybugs. To call them a swarm seems unnecessary negative for the experience was truly a happy one. They fluttered about and looked to rest on the greenery about us, as well as our own bare skin, a crease in the neck, a patch of forehead, a swath of forearm. It was kind of delightful.

I know enough to understand that, scientifically, insects are essential to the health of our ecosystems. But I realized that I have never paid enough attention to their world. And I vowed then, and repeat now upon further reflection, that I will endeavor to give insects more attention and heed. There is so much to learn, to explore, and to appreciate about our fragile planet.

When I got home, I searched for what is the proper term for a group of ladybugs and learned that it is "loveliness," as in a "loveliness of ladybugs." I let out a deeply satisfying chuckle. How poetic. How true. How lovely. How perfect.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson