• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 08:41:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 512
Total: 512

Another Hump Day

Started by LizStreithorst, June 22, 2022, 10:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Good Wednesday morning friends.  Sorry I missed yesterday,  I did absolutely nothing other than animal chores that had to be done.  No sense posting about that.

It's been so hot that I've been mostly staying inside.  The heat index is always like around 106 which it will be today.  It was even getting hot at 9 am when I scooted up to visit Judy.  Since I've been staying inside so much the dogs have been as well. And with all of us inside I've been seeing more of our wildlife.  I still have my 4 hens even though I've seen the fox cross the front lawn twice now.  She must have found something more tasty since the chickens were where they could be easily found.  Right now I have 2 deer in the front yard.  One is a nice big yearling doe the other is a pied buck.  It's the first young back I have seen in years.  Shawn, my neighbor and hunter will be happy.  I just nope that no hunter takes him for a couple of years until he has a rack to be proud of.

All the fish are fine.  They don't even really need a WC today, but I will do it because I always feel guilty when I don't.  I finally got around to posting another auction on AB.  We'll see how it goes.  There are a couple of other guys selling younger Blacks that look good for cheap.  One guy is shipping USPS Priority and offers live delivery only if the box arrives on time.  It got so that I couldn't even trust USPS Priority Express boxes to arrive on time.  This guy will end up having many disappointed customers I'm afraid.

Apparently I killed all my blue shrimp last week, and I had a ton of them.  I did a big WC with the same aged water I used on all the other tanks including my red and yellow shrimp tanks and the only shrimp that I killed were the blues.  I can't figure it out.  They weren't my favorite shrimp though.  They were very dark blue but they were small even as adults compared with my reds and yellows.  My yellows especially are large shrimp.  I'm not sure if I will start again with new blues or just break down the tank and use it for something else.

That's all my news that isn't news at all.  I hope everyone has a good day.  I'm gonna head for the fish room and go to work.

Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Good afternoon Liz  and everyone. It is a comfortable 75 degrees here today. At the present time it is cloudy and we have a 33% chance of rain. The real rain is supposed to move in tonight and I hope we get a good soaking. My grass really needs it.

Kobe had a vet appointment this morning. He's doing Ok except he is getting older, sleeps a lot more and has cataracts. For the last couple of years he has a heart murmur and I finally decided to have it x-rayed. It showed an enlarged heart but no fluid in the lungs and heart area so we'll just continue to monitor it.

The Black & Gold Rams are growing  and I've culled a bunch of yellows and runts. In about a week or so I'll separate the blacks from the yellows. I won't cull or use as food any more yellows at this time because I have club members that are interested in them.

I have the golden pearls coming in tomorrow but I'll keep feeding the Rams along with the GPs. Has anyone ever used decapsulated BBS? I found some in my freezer that I never used. I totally forgot about them. huh

Hopefully you all will have a great rest of the day.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

To be honest Willie, even though live BBS can be a chore it's the best.  I feed my fry breakfast, lunch and dinner.  One of those feedings is live wiggling BBS.  I may be wrong in this, but it's what I believe from having weened them from live early and then using it until they reached adulthood when I just used it as an occasional treat.

As dogs age they get heath problems that when they were younger never bothered them.  It's the same with humans.  What is the grade of his heart mummer?

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 22, 2022, 02:31:03 PM
To be honest Willie, even though live BBS can be a chore it's the best.  I feed my fry breakfast, lunch and dinner.  One of those feedings is live wiggling BBS.  I may be wrong in this, but it's what I believe from having weened them from live early and then using it until they reached adulthood when I just used it as an occasional treat.

As dogs age they get heath problems that when they were younger never bothered them.  It's the same with humans.  What is the grade of his heart mummer?

Liz they said it was a grade 2 so right now we are just watching it. I am feeding my rams three times a day also. Most of the feedings are live wiggling BBS except when I've gotten in trouble with stale eggs. My new eggs are hatching in 18 hours.
Willie

LizStreithorst

Yeah, grade 2 isn't bad.  Does he have any arthritis?

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 22, 2022, 03:24:29 PM
Yeah, grade 2 isn't bad.  Does he have any arthritis?

Surprisingly with all of the jumping he has done in his life he has no obvious arthritic issues like me. huh
Willie

LizStreithorst

That's good.  Most dogs of his age have it by that age.  Now that I think about it, now that I'm old I enjoy a good sleep more than ever.  Live long and prosper, Kobi.

Ron Sower

Quote from: wsantia1 on June 22, 2022, 02:00:58 PM
Good afternoon Liz  and everyone. It is a comfortable 75 degrees here today. At the present time it is cloudy and we have a 33% chance of rain. The real rain is supposed to move in tonight and I hope we get a good soaking. My grass really needs it.

Kobe had a vet appointment this morning. He's doing Ok except he is getting older, sleeps a lot more and has cataracts. For the last couple of years he has a heart murmur and I finally decided to have it x-rayed. It showed an enlarged heart but no fluid in the lungs and heart area so we'll just continue to monitor it.

The Black & Gold Rams are growing  and I've culled a bunch of yellows and runts. In about a week or so I'll separate the blacks from the yellows. I won't cull or use as food any more yellows at this time because I have club members that are interested in them.

I have the golden pearls coming in tomorrow but I'll keep feeding the Rams along with the GPs. Has anyone ever used decapsulated BBS? I found some in my freezer that I never used. I totally forgot about them. huh

Hopefully you all will have a great rest of the day.
...I've used decapped brine shrimp eggs a lot in the past as fry food...actually, when you think it through, the eggs are packed with protein...probably more than the hatched bbs because they begin using the nutrients immediately upon hatching and some is excreted as waste...just saying!!!...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Today I totally spazzed and thought I'd been on here...but guess not!...

It was another warm one at 105F...and no rain, even though we were notified several times that it would...go figure...

We shipped 30 orders this afternoon...half of what went out last Hump Day ;D...only holding back 2 orders until one species arrives to complete them...I contacted a California aquatic nursery today to set up a business account with them...dont want to be stuck with East Coast (Florida) nurseries that can't ship during hurricanes...

After dinner we went to pick up the mail and visited a couple neighbors...one has a scotch every evening, so he offered me one...I'm not really a scotch drinker (I'm not much of a drinker at all) but I enjoyed it!...I may want to have more in the future  ;) ... I'll time my visits accordingly and take a partial bottle of Johnny Walker red label with me...We've had it from Florence days when we had a scotch drinking friend who would visit...

I hope you're all sleeping well...happy aquariuming!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on June 23, 2022, 12:40:09 AM

...I've used decapped brine shrimp eggs a lot in the past as fry food...actually, when you think it through, the eggs are packed with protein...probably more than the hatched bbs because they begin using the nutrients immediately upon hatching and some is excreted as waste...just saying!!!...

Thanks Ron. I never thought about it that way and I have a basically new jar of it that been in the freezer since??? I soak them and try them on some guppy fry first.
Willie

Ron Sower

|^|
Quote from: wsantia1 on June 24, 2022, 06:05:18 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on June 23, 2022, 12:40:09 AM

Thanks Ron. I never thought about it that way and I have a basically new jar of it that been in the freezer since??? I soak them and try them on some guppy fry first.
|^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron