• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 02:12:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 786
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 748
Total: 748

Oh boy !!...more....

Started by Mugwump, March 04, 2013, 05:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

More snow/cold expected tonite, and for the next few days....winter's just not giving up....this wave is supposed to have more snow than the last one.....just peachie....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I was so hoping that you weren't going to say that when I opened this post. :(  I told Michelle we need a snow blower after the last snow strom. She says to me How much more snow do you think we'er going to get. So any more snow we get this year I'm blaming her.
Scott

ilroost

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on March 04, 2013, 02:40:39 PM
I was so hoping that you weren't going to say that when I opened this post. :(  I told Michelle we need a snow blower after the last snow strom. She says to me How much more snow do you think we'er going to get. So any more snow we get this year I'm blaming her.

LOL..we've been waiting on the spring sales too.......this year I'm going to get one, electric start too....I'm getting too old for the blasted 'heart attack' snows....gets heavier every year...LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Quote from: ilroost on March 04, 2013, 02:44:57 PM
keep it up north!!

I was actually rooting for it to take a southern route... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D...I have some fish to ship and the blasted weather won't cooperate... :P
Jon

Frank The Plumber

I remember when I was a kid that a snow storm never closed school unless Ma's 62 Impala SS got stuck in the snow. It took a good 10"-14" to get Ma stuck. She had a 4 speed and a really heavy foot for a 112 pound skinny bleach blonde. We would dig out her car so she was mobile and could go shopping, warm it up and she would come out and get it out of the spot. We'd dig out the spot, she'd park the car back in it and take out her Marlboro and say. " Better get your a-- moving, you know it takes a bit longer to walk your a-- to school in the snow."

Then we would go to school and play tackle pom pom in the snow on the concrete play ground. Tackle pom pom is this game where one d ass stands out there and 90 plus kids run across the concrete playground and the D ass tackles as many as he can. If you are a tougher kid you don't tackle the dorks. You tackle the other toughs. Then you let all of the dorks run across in the end and slaughter holy cow out of them. My favorite tackle was the flying spear that I learned watching Bears football. I damaged a few kids. ooops. As you can tell it was fairly nice to have this snow on the concrete parking lot at school. This game had a lot fewer DOA's and casualties from December to mid March.

Most of the boys in the class had a bloody nose or a wobble for the day if it snowed. Then at Lunch we did it again.After school we would skitch home on a bumper. It's a hard thing to do today because of all of this dang salt. We could have as many as 40 kids on a bumper. We pulled the bumper clean off an old Studebaker Commando wagon one day. We put that bumper in the schools hall next to the trophy case like a victory trophy. Yeah we had some problems from that episode.

We did a thing called a crack freeze. You take a big snow ball and jam it down some dudes back side and slap his fanny like forty times to break it up in there. After school we would go shoveling til late in the evening, or car pushing or if you were really lucky roof shoveling. Roof shoveling was nice because the old ladies let all of the sissy little kids do a half baked job of shoveling their walks out of apathy for them. The little suckers would clean up. Usually the little cute dopes would smile at these ladies and play all cutesy. It was a different story with a roof though, the old ladies didn't want some little cutsie David Cassidy / Shawn Cassidy looking pretty boy falling on his face and getting a facial in their front yards so they would have us good looking young spear tacklers with the bloody noses and black eyes do it. My buddy fell off the one roof like six times onto the old ladies 72 plymouth. Now a 72 plymouth was a very hard car, not one of these squishy suckers like they fake today.

In The 79 blizzard they filled our whole park full of snow. 50 foot mountains of snow. It lasted until September of the next year. We played fortress in the snow mountains. We had tunnels in those mountains that Colonel Hogan would just turn green from envy from. One was like 90 feet long. We had bunkers and had wars with the other morts from the next neighborhood over. Those kids had soft faces. It was like punching a wet pillow. We always won the wars. In the big blizzard me and the other neighborhood kids hung out at the hill in our neighborhood. The cars could not get up the hill to keep going. For $5 we would the 10 of us push your S box up the hill. Pay first. No pay...walk home. We spent the whole day there, we chased all other kids away. There were 10 of us and at the end of the day I had $195 just in my pocket. My pals each had the same.

We used to jump garbage cans in the alley behind my house with our bicycles. I jumped Twelve of them. They were standing upright. Steel too. I broke that dang Huffy bike I had right in two. Hit the last three cans a-- first. That was a no counter. Dang. Tried again 3 days later and broke the forks on the ramp. Did a facial into cans 3, 4, 5 ,7, 8, 10, 10 yeah, hit that one twice, 11,and 12. After that I sort of winced a bit when Evel Knevel fell off the bikes.

Now days there's a law says a kid has to wear a helmet to ride a bike. Hmmm...I wonder if that covers steel drum jumping? Yeah...I bet you wonder how I started talking about bike jumping in a snow story. It hurt just a bit less in the snow. I sent a letter to Mr. Knievel telling him that once. It said, "Hey, You maybe oughtta try jumping in the snow. It hurts your a-- less when you fall. Sorry, it don't help when you hit the side of the drums much though. A drums a lot like a bus ain't it.? Break a leg. Ha ha.

I got a letter back from him. I was all excited. I took it to school. The teacher confiscated it. It said only four words and was signed. "Hey Kid, ---- you!. Evel Kneivel.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

ilroost

The good ole days, we just don't get the snow now like we did back then.Boy do i remember skitching, bust out a couple of teeth doing that.

Mugwump

Quote from: ilroost on March 04, 2013, 06:07:45 PM
The good ole days, we just don't get the snow now like we did back then.Boy do i remember skitching, bust out a couple of teeth doing that.

Skitching was an art...have a couple buddies cross the street real slow, then we'd all pile on...LOL..my Dad used to take my brother and me, with some friends, and pull us down the snow covered back roads on a 6 man toboggan....man we'd fly....maybe 40+ miles an hour..felt like a 100 behind that car....even tho we'd all been faster on old Mort's hill...LOL
  When I went to IU Bloomington, Indiana....we had the snow ball epic wars...sometimes over 600-800 per side...fought over a narrow ravine, after dark, of course....LOL...ever look up and see 600+ snowballs coming at you...LOL..what a blast..always reminded me of those movies with the bad guys shooting a zillion arrows at the hero's army troops....
  One of my favorite memories is going out to Mort's when he was boiling maple sap to make Maple syrup....he had a big wooden paddle that he's dip and then flick it into the fresh snow..it'd crystalize into maple sugar chunks....MMmmmmm..talk about a sugar high...whoa...zoom zoom...LOL

Jon