• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 05:48:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 560
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 557
Total: 557

How old were you when....?

Started by Mugwump, August 28, 2017, 04:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterboy

Quote from: wallace on August 29, 2017, 02:47:46 PM
I never had to register for the draft either. There were just two years there, I think it was '76 and '77, that had no draft for 18-year olds. Then draft registration was reinstated.

I did a bunch of genealogy and discovered that all the men on both sides of my family were at an age between wars. I had to go all the way back to the American revolution to find ancestors involved in a war. And they fought on the wrong side, lol. They were Americans but loyalists. After the revolution the US booted the loyalists out and made them go to Canada.

I've done a little Genealogy too.  Where were your ancestors located.  If it was northeastern Massachusetts in the late 1600s or early 1700s we are probably distantly related.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

wallace

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we are related from that time. It wasn't that heavily populated. My ancestors started coming to the Rowley and Ipswich area (northeast MA) in 1628 and intermarried with newcomers there for the next 100 years. One ancestor was hung for witchcraft in 1692. That was kind of dramatic. Other than that they were unremarkable puritans, deacons and farmers. One group had some sort of religious falling out, left and formed a new settlement in New Brunswick, so there are people from both places.
Dan

Mugwump

..me neither..........we have folk from up that way too....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

I think I was during the last year of the draft. I had a very high number and just missed getting drafted.