• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 12, 2024, 05:08:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 662
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 562
Total: 562

Fidel Castro died at 90

Started by Mugwump, November 26, 2016, 05:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...I was a 'bagger', 'boxboy' at Ralph's Grocery in La Crescenta during the Cuban crisis. Still in high school, it was a strange time. I remember loading carts, and carts, of groceries for families stocking up, just in case those big A-bombs started dropping around the world.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

"When they settled down to sleep the first night in the cane field, Castro said he was determined not to be taken alive. He lay with his rifle on his chest with the barrel under his chin and his finger on the trigger, saying he would shoot himself if the Rural Guard found them."

Our neighbor in Sacramento had an underground bomb shelter. I thought the lid was like the hatch on a kind of submarine.
Dan

waterboy

The Cuban missile crisis was the closest this country has ever come to nuclear war.  There were people with their finger actually on the buttons getting ready to push them. If Gorbachev hadn't backed off when he did we wouldn't be here today. 
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

BallAquatics

It was Nikita Khrushchev, Gorbachev didn't become  leader of the Soviet Union until 1985.

Dennis

waterboy

You are right as always, senior moment.
Dale

BallAquatics

Quote from: waterboy on November 26, 2016, 01:27:03 PM
You are right as always, senior moment.

That's what I had when I read it.  Huh, was he Russian leader for that many years???  I think it was the .....chev  Just Khrush instead of Gorba  LOL   :P

Dennis

waterboy

Yes they all sound the same to me.  I was in the service in japan so it was nothing more that another alert at the time.  But I read an article by someone close to the goings on about twenty years later. Don't remember when or who wrote it but I remember that the article scared the heck out of me to realize just how close they actually were to launching the nukes.
Dale

Mugwump

I was a senior in HS then...it sure got us worked up a bit....in History and Government classes it was thoroughly discussed daily.....plus we lived about 2 miles from JPL.....and many of my friends had a parent(s) working there........we had a bulls eye on our homes in that area....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wallace

"Only Arkhipov, as flotilla commander and second-in-command of the nuclear-missile submarine B-59, refused to authorize the captain's use of nuclear torpedoes against the United States Navy, a decision requiring the agreement of all three senior officers aboard. In 2002 Thomas Blanton, who was then director of the US National Security Archive, said that "Vasili Arkhipov saved the world".

Here is the story:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/05/vasili-arkhipov-the-man-who-saved-the-world/
Dan