• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 07:16:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 464
Total: 465

Barb's angels spawn

Started by Barb, July 12, 2014, 07:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

Yep, while we went to the beach for a few hours, came home to see hundreds of eggs being fanned by the female while her mate stands guard.  He doesn't have much to do, since they have their own tank now.  I will update with what happens. This is my first angel spawn to try to raise in about 20 years.  I usually just remove eggs when they are laid in the angel tank.

I am interested to see what is produced now that Jon has explained about pearl scales.
Barb

Mugwump

I think that you might be pleasantly surprised. Parent raisers have sharp eyes for deformed, or weak fry. It's nature's way of culling.  It may take them a spawn, or two, to get the raising right, but you should end up with the healthiest pearls possible. Good luck with em.....do you have a light near by to keep on..?..or if a LED lamp, the moonlight/blue....that'll help a lot so they can tend the spawn....after, and during the 'mutiny', I just leave the light on.... keeps the fry up off the bottom during those critical first few days..... ;D                   
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Thanks Jon and Liz,  Yes, I have a night light on next to the tank, and I see that they are indeed fanning the eggs in the low light.  How many days after spawning will I need some BBS?  I wish angels could feed their young like discus do  ;D    It has been so long since I did this I have forgotten a lot about it.
Barb

b125killer

Congratulations Barb, good luck with them. They should hatch in two day and free swim five days after that. So around 7 days total. After there free swimming is when I start to feed them.
Scott

PaulineMi

Best of luck with this spawn Barb!   :)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on July 12, 2014, 09:49:40 PM
Congratulations Barb, good luck with them. They should hatch in two day and free swim five days after that. So around 7 days total. After there free swimming is when I start to feed them.
[/quote

Scott's right....wigglers in about 48 hrs...then free swim around 4-5 days later. I start my bbs the day that I see most are up and going...then feed the next day when I harvest it... You just need to remember that they all need to be swimming...not just half, or so....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

thanks for all the info.  This morning the parents are taking turns fanning.  And I see 12 white eggs, the rest are all fine.  The tank is bare bottom, two pieces of wood, one with anubias on it, and a large sponge filter.  No heater, it is room temp and next to a north facing window for light.  I will leave the night lite on every night.  The eggs are on the wood.  I know, I should have given them one of my cones, but they have been spawning on this wood in the main tank for many weeks.  Didn't want to confuse them or something ;D.
Barb

Mugwump

What is the room temp, Barb? Temperature has an effect on the length of the egg gestation period.
Jon

Barb

We keep the AC set at 75 this time of year.  Do I need a tank heater?

LizStreithorst

I'd say so.  I'd move it up to at least 80.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 13, 2014, 09:28:18 AM
I'd say so.  I'd move it up to at least 80.
Quote from: Barb on July 13, 2014, 08:58:17 AM
We keep the AC set at 75 this time of year.  Do I need a tank heater?

Yep....if your house is 75deg's, the ambient temp is likely around 72-73deg's....the eggs will take a few extra days...get a heater in there, like Liz said, and set it for 76deg's....then tomorrow up to 80-82deg's .....you don't want to raise it too fast...even tho it's only 8deg's, or so...
Jon

Barb

OK, just added a heater, will keep a close watch on the temp in there.  Thanks Liz and Jon.  I'm sure there will be many more questions here.  Seems I can keep a 125 full of healthy discus, most of them I grew from 2" or less, and the tank is successfully planted to boot, but I need help with angel breeding all of a sudden.
Barb ;D

LizStreithorst

What did you expect, Barb?  It's been a long time since you've bred Angels.  There are things that you've forgotten and things you've never considered  that you want to know about.  It's exciting, isn't it.

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on July 12, 2014, 07:02:04 PM
Yep, while we went to the beach for a few hours, came home to see hundreds of eggs being fanned by the female while her mate stands guard.  He doesn't have much to do, since they have their own tank now.  I will update with what happens. This is my first angel spawn to try to raise in about 20 years.  I usually just remove eggs when they are laid in the angel tank.

I am interested to see what is produced now that Jon has explained about pearl scales.
Barb

Congrats Barb.  Wishing you much success with this spawn. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.