• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 01:06:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 527
Total: 527

Pics of Barb's angel pair

Started by Barb, June 04, 2014, 09:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

OK Liz, here they are.  Remember, I am not a good fish pic taker.  These are the best I had time to get awhile ago.  Their possible fry got eaten by the other fish, but I will give them a tank of their own to see what happens, next month.  Male is white, female is marble.  Both show no gold, but have blue tones in them.
Barb

LizStreithorst

Barb, your pics suck as I expected.  But from what I see, you can introduce the pearl scale gene into a Blue Marble.  Cross that with one of Jon's blue marble zebra kids and after 2 generation you would get some Blue Marbled Pearl Scales.  The thought of them takes my breath away, but I even if it turns out that my fish room is clean, I don't have the tank space to do it.  I hate not being able to do it.  The thought of it turns me on no end.

I know that these hatched in your hard water.  I've gotten wigglers twice in my hardish water.  It is not the usual thing,  Mostly the eggs turn white.  Please, when you give this pair their own tank, either but in a media bag full of peat moss or collect rain water for them.  Both work when you want viable fry.

Welcome to the breeding club.

Now I'll sit back and wait for my number three hero to tell me that I'm all wrong.  It's his job.  He's my teacher.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

..nice Angels......Looks like a Plat Pearl and a Blue marble...all the fry should be blue marbles 'het' for pearl scale.........any fry sibling crosses will yield a percentage of blue marble pearls ;D

ps..don't feel bad, my pics suck too.....LOL...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

Thanks Liz and Jon.  I didn't think they "suck" even tho not vey good.  It is why I don't post pics often, tho I have lots to take pics of.  Maybe I can find some time to practice, I do have a good camera.  Maybe Pauline can help me.

I will definitely try for some fry to raise from this pair.  Blue marble pearlscales sound pretty cool to me.  Later on I will ask advice on which siblings to cross.  I will need help on that.
Barb

Mugwump

Quote from: Barb on June 05, 2014, 06:15:59 AM
Thanks Liz and Jon.  I didn't think they "suck" even tho not vey good.  It is why I don't post pics often, tho I have lots to take pics of.  Maybe I can find some time to practice, I do have a good camera.  Maybe Pauline can help me.

I will definitely try for some fry to raise from this pair.  Blue marble pearlscales sound pretty cool to me.  Later on I will ask advice on which siblings to cross.  I will need help on that.
Barb

LOL....yea, 'suck' was not quite the word needed for your pics....mine tho?...yep, they suck....LOL..I do need a better camera....and a steadier hand. I have a tripod but I forget to use the dang thing when I'm taking quick pics down there...

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EdKaz

Nice looking couple

QuoteI do have a good camera.  Maybe Pauline can help me.

QuoteI do need a better camera....and a steadier hand. I have a tripod but I forget to use the dang thing when I'm taking quick pics down there...

All ya need is either
a)MORE/Brighter LIGHT.
b) Turn the ISO up on the camera( if possible)
c) a flash placed above the tank (more light)

Most blurry fish pix are caused by fish movement. A tripod in this case will hold the camera still, but does nothing to hold the fish still.

Mugwump

Quote from: EdKaz on June 05, 2014, 06:37:40 AM
Nice looking couple

QuoteI do have a good camera.  Maybe Pauline can help me.

QuoteI do need a better camera....and a steadier hand. I have a tripod but I forget to use the dang thing when I'm taking quick pics down there...

All ya need is either
a)MORE/Brighter LIGHT.
b) Turn the ISO up on the camera( if possible)
c) a flash placed above the tank (more light)

Most blurry fish pix are caused by fish movement. A tripod in this case will hold the camera still, but does nothing to hold the fish still.

true......but we don't always have the steadiest hands either....LOL....myself, I don't have a hand held flash . ;D.....ISO settings on my camera?....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL....I've been looking for a nice glass container for taking pics, but so far haven't found one....I do have that 5 gal...that might help some??....a 2 1/2 is just too small....
Jon

EdKaz

Quotetrue......but we don't always have the steadiest hands either....LOL....myself, I don't have a hand held flash . ;D.....ISO settings on my camera?....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...

Than the only option (short of a new camera) would be MORE LIGHT.........Grab one of them clamp on reflector lights and stuff a BIG OLE light bulb in it.

$8.00
http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor-lights/work-lights/8-1-2-clamp-light/p-1860960-c-6405.htm

And
$20.00................6500K 85 watt Florescent bulb(Equivalent to a 300 watt incandescent)  4700 Lumens 8) 8) 8)

http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/lighting-fans/bulbs/fluorescent/85-watt-high-wattage-twist/p-2011600-c-6337.htm

Cheaper than a new camera and would go a LONG WAY to sharper pictures ;)

PaulineMi

You've got nice angels. That blue marble appears to be very nicely colored. I love blue marbles.  Your tanks look nice too.   :)

What kind of camera are you using Barb?  When people refer to "ISO" on a digital camera it's like the number that used to be on film that we bought back in the day, i.e., 400 was a common one. I usually have my camera set at 1600 when I take fish pix. 

Now for the baring my soul part....I push buttons, turn dials, turn lights on and off and take a whole lot of pictures to get any that are worthy of showing  anyone. ::)  And I know my photos aren't even close to what can be done by those who know what they're doing. Every once in awhile I read "how to" articles but dumb mode and experimenting are my go-to camera skills.

One tip I've always remembered...get the fish's eye in focus and you will usually end up with a decent picture.

I don't know if this article will help.  I've had it bookmarked forever but don't remember if I ever really read it. (And there's a tutorial going on Simply Discus right now that's pretty good.)

http://digital-photography-school.com/21-settings-techniques-and-rules-all-new-camera-owners-should-know/
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Barb

Thanks for all that info Pauline.  I have a Canon Powershot A2500, it is still new.   I will have to fiddle around with all the choices it gives me. 
Barb

Mugwump

Dang...now you've done it Barb...LOL....I'll need to get a better camera for sure....I've been looking at some anyway...but now I need to do it.. ;D....my current camera is a 1862 'Abe' Lincoln model...comes complete with photo plates and that nice drape that you throw over your head....it's hell getting shots transferred/converted to jpg files tho.... ;D
Jon

ilroost

Shoot, those picts look good compared to the ones i take. Very nice angels!! Good luck with them.

LizStreithorst

I just chatted with Barb and I have first dips on her kids.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 05, 2014, 07:46:48 PM
I just chatted with Barb and I have first dips on her kids.

....good call...those should give you some nice stock to work with... ;D
Jon

Barb

Dibs Liz, not dips  ;D

Thank you all for kind remarks about my new pair.  In July I will give them their own tank with RO and see what happens.  They have already spawned in the angel community tank about 4 times.  So, I should be able to get them to do it alone.  Will keep you updated with hopefully good news later in summer. 
Barb